News

Week 9 @ Carey

Week 9 @ Carey

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0
WEEK 9      
I’ve been reading the book of Job. You might think that’s a strange place to look for comfort and hope but there is such richness and beauty there. Somehow the extremities of loss, pain and confusion that Job went through drew out of him a sharpness of vision and depth of reflection.

Consider these words:
For there is hope for a tree,
if it is cut down, that it will sprout again,
and that its shoots will not cease.

Though its root grows old in the earth,
and its stump dies in the ground,
yet at the scent of water it will bud
and put forth branches like a young plant.

Job 14:7-9

I think of the trees in a place that is close to my heart, the state of Rondônia in Amazonian Brazil. It is burning, much of it already devastated, engulfed in raging forest fires. But for at least some of those trees, their roots go deep. There is hope – perhaps just “the scent of water,” but it might be enough for life to begin to stir again, and shoots to appear, and, in time, new growth.

I consider this land and the early flourishing of the gospel among its people, and the promise of a relationship founded on covenant. And then betrayal, violence, injustice, seemingly cutting down what had already sprung up. But some of those roots go deep. And there is “the scent of water,” the dew of God’s aroha noa, the stirring of Wairua Tapu. There are buds of new life.

I look at our churches. So many seem only a shadow of what they once were. Diminished and pitiful, like stumps dead in the earth. But some of those roots go deep. And it just takes “the scent of water” for life-energy to stir, and soon, when we look for them, the hopeful signs of tender young plants emerging even from the weary stump.
I reflect on myself, and possibly others of us. There are times, and perhaps now is one, when you and I can feel cut down, dried out, almost dead in the ground. But roots of faith and love and communal life go deep. And there is “the scent of water”: grace, Spirit, love, just action, the budding of renewed life.

There is hope for a tree. And for our world. And for this land. And for Christ’s church. And for us.

George Wieland

IT'S OPEN DAY ON TUESDAY!

GO TO THE MOVIES ON CAREY

Open Day is happening next Tuesday and you've got the chance of winning a double movie pass.

Bring a friend to the Open Day who is considering study and you could get a double pass movie ticket on us! (seven to be won).

It kicks off at 8am with our famous Bagel Breakfast. All are welcome.

Here's the Facebook link if you want to share with your friends.....

CHAPEL - 9AM TIME CHANGE
Come and See the Lord who calls - Matt 14:22-33

Dr John Tucker will be teaching in Chapel next week. It is bound to be a good one!

COMMUNITY LUNCHES

Join us as a community for lunches on Monday and Tuesday in the Wharekai

Monday 12.40pm
Tuesday 12pm

Our chef Karen cooks up a storm for us and its free!

WEDNESDAY PRAYER MEETING - 12.40pm in Chapel

Phil Halstead is leading us this week in a time of prayer for one another, our community and nation. 

WORKSHOP ON THESIS (& LARGE DOCUMENT) FORMATTING

Thursday October 17, 1-4pm with Sue Knox

If you think there’s any chance of you (or people you know) ever needing to format a thesis or large document this free workshop at Carey Baptist College is for you! Sue Knox is an expert in this field and we are thrilled to have her back on campus. Her input can make the daunting task of formatting a breeze and save you much unnecessary head- and heart-ache. Please RSVP to Phil at phil.halstead@carey.ac.nz

We highly recommend that you attend as it will save you a lot of time.

CASTING CALL FOR NEW PARIHAKA MUSICAL 

Mt Albert Baptist is returning to its musical roots with a new stage show The Way of the Raukura – A Parihaka Musical.

Auditions are being held on Saturday 19 October for a new stage musical telling the incredible true story of the grace extended to soldiers during the 1881 invasion of the pacifist village Parihaka, nestled in the foothills of Mt Taranaki.

Are you interested in auditioning?? Check out this link for all the information. Please spread the word to other talented people you may know.

http://www.mabc.org.nz/parihaka-musical
Come and celebrate our students completing their training programmes:

Pastoral Leadership
Youth Pastoral Leadership
Mission Track
Intermission
Ethnic Ministry Training

24 October | Royal Oak Baptist church

More Information here

WĀNANGA

dialogue, discussion, University, place of knowledge!

LIBRARY HOURS

Library hours are as follow:
Monday – Thursday  8:30-6:30pm
Friday                        9am-5:00pm
Saturday                   10:00am-12:30pm

LIBRARY BOOK SALE

Three big boxes of books have just been delivered to the library and will be on sale.
come and check them out.
 And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love.
2 John 1:16 NIV