News

Week 9 @ Carey - sorry for the delay!

Week 9 @ Carey - sorry for the delay!

by Kathryn Heard -
Number of replies: 0
WEEK 9     
The Training to Obey God Starts When No One is Watching…

We live in a fairly, safe country (as New Zealand), and we labour among a quite godly group of communities (such as Carey Baptist College). Still we would do well to remember that we are here for a designated purpose: to be equipped for discipleship and service. It is at Carey that we lay the very foundation of godly wisdom for a lifetime of ministry and leadership. I hope you will decide here at Carey, to forever be Christ’s faithful and obedient instrument, no matter how the carrots are dangled in front of you, and no matter how difficult it may be for you to keep to God’s course.

When no one is watching you, and when you are tempted to take shortcuts instead of doing due diligence in your readings and in preparing your assignments, how will you finally decide? When you have heard God clearly to launch into a particular area of service, the temptation to take an easier way out will always look more attractive, more reasonable, and even more justifiable: how do you decide?

By all means, be people-pleasers if and only if you do not compromise on your obedience to God! By all means, be collaborative if and only if you are not required to play ungodly games. Do not take God’s compassion and empathy as permission for conforming to ungodliness. Don’t resort to devising cunning deception and lies; don’t convince yourself that no one is hurt by these lies. Do not suppress truth (God is a God of truth and justice). Do not kowtow to deadly politics of popularity. By all means, be hospitable and amiable, yet do not yield to syncretism, especially with cultural beliefs, practices and rituals that conflict with your allegiance to the biblical God. Be wise, God is watching, and discern your heart (and as quickly as you observe any infirmities and impurities in your heart, ask God to help you purge them, do not let these linger in your soul). Follow due processes, and seek to be above-board, honourable and truthful: no amount of rhetoric and justification can clear your conscience before God, the supreme Judge. Decide today, will you serve God or mammon in their varied forms and expressions?

By Timothy Lim
Director | Centre for Chinese Research and Training

CHAPEL - WITH BRIDGET BARNARD

(11.15am Tuesday)

Come and See what God wants to say to us as Bridget brings us the word at Chapel this week.

Come and be refreshed. Come and worship. Come and just be.  

COMMUNITY LUNCHES

(12.40pm Monday | 12pm Tuesday)

Join us on Monday and Tuesday for our Community Lunches. This is a great time to get to know other students and staff while enjoying a delicious lunch together.

WEDNESDAY PRAYER MEETING

(Carey Chapel 12.40pm - 1pm)

Csilla Saysell will be leading this time together. This is a time for everyone, staff and students together, to join and pray with one another.

28TH MAY OPEN DAY -
CHANGE OF TIMES FOR CHAPEL, FORMATION AND LUNCH!

Next Tuesday (28th May) the timing of Chapel, formation groups and lunch will change due to Open Day.

Chapel will start at 9am
Formation Groups will start at 10am
Lunch will start at 12pm

DINING ROOM KARAKIA (PRAYER)

Wondering what the translation is for our Karakia that is up on the wall in the dining room? Here it is:

Bless this food 
May it nourish our bodies and feed our spirit with the bread of eternal life
In the name of Jesus Christ our Lord
forever and ever
Amen.
“If you’ll hold on to me for dear life,” says God,
    “I’ll get you out of any trouble.
I’ll give you the best of care
    if you’ll only get to know and trust me.
Call me and I’ll answer, be at your side in bad times;
    I’ll rescue you, then throw you a party.
I’ll give you a long life,
    give you a long drink of salvation!”
Psalm 91: 14-16
The Message version

PEER WRITING ASSISTANTS HERE TO HELP

We've launched the new student peer-support initiative at Carey. Thanks to Monique, Vince and Charles who are our new Peer Writing Assistants. Bar actually writing an assignment for you (!), they are available to help with your academic writing and academic literacy.
Two on-campus bookings are available for this semester as a pilot scheme.
See the previous notice on Careyonline for details.

LIBRARY HOURS

The Library is back to normal hours next week:
Monday to Thursday:  8.30am to 6.30pm
Friday:                            9.00am to 5pm
Saturday:                       10.00am to 12.30pm

LIBRARY HOURS

LIBRARY BOOK SALE

Come and grab a bargain.
Some good titles are available. Only $1 per book. Come and have a look

CAREY MAY OPEN DAY 

GO TO THE MOVIES ON CAREY!

We're holding our May Open Day on Tuesday 28th May.

How about inviting a friend or family member along to investigate study at Carey?

Bring a friend to Carey's open day on 28th May who is considering study and you could get a double pass movie ticket on us! (seven to be won).

We have a June intake so they could start their journey this year. It could be dipping their toe in with Thinking Theologically next semester or.....

It kicks off at 8am with our famous Bagel Breakfast. All are welcome.

More details here
"IHU"

Meaning: Jesus