News

Week 7 @ Carey - Welcome back!

Week 7 @ Carey - Welcome back!

by Kathryn Heard -
Number of replies: 0
WEEK 7     
A Farm Walk

Last week I spend a few days on our family farm in Atarau, located between the Grey River and the Pararoa Ranges.

Every week my cousin spends 3 hours walking 22kms across every one of his paddocks to monitor grass growth. It is a slow process, and involves jumping electric fences, traversing creeks, and taking on the West Coast weather. I joined him for 5kms of the farm walk. Meandering along in our gumboots, we talked about the beauty of slowing down to (literally) watch the grass grow. We told stories about our heroes and pondered the importance of grasping joy and contentment in the present.

Apparently, there is now satellite technology that can monitor the height of the grass down to millimetres. But nothing can replace the experience of a blue and pink sky, the shadow of the hills, and the creation of shared memories.

Chris Berry | Executive Director
CHAPEL WORSHIP - Come and see the hidden people

with Guest Speaker Steph Christiansen
(International Intercultural Worker)

Steph Christiansen has lived and worked for many years in the Middle East (where she got to know our own Reti Ah-voa). Her current work focuses on connecting with and working for justice for domestic maids, usually brought into the country they are to work in from places like the Philippines, Nepal, India, Somalia, etc. They are often extremely vulnerable to abuse and exploitation. Some are trapped indoors and not allowed to go out or have phone contact with their families or others. These are the “hidden people” that Steph invites us to come and see today.

She does some of her work through a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ThisIsLebanon961/

COMMUNITY LUNCHES

(12.40pm Monday | 12pm Tuesday)

Join us on Monday and Tuesday for our Community Lunches. This is a great time to get to know other students and staff while enjoying a delicious lunch together.
DINING ROOM KARAKIA (PRAYER)

Wondering what the translation is for our Karakia that is up on the wall in the dining room? Here it is:

Bless this food 
May it nourish our bodies and feed our spirit with the bread of eternal life
In the name of Jesus Christ our Lord
forever and ever
Amen.

WEDNESDAY PRAYER MEETING

(Carey Chapel 12.40pm - 1pm)

Wendy Budge, Ministry Training Coordinator, will be leading this time together. This is a time for everyone, staff and students together, to join and pray with one another.
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die;  and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
John 11:25-26

ASSESSMENT EXTENSIONS

A reminder that if you have a valid ? reason for needing to request an extension to an assessment due date, fill out the form (CareyOnline – Forms for Students) and return this in advance to Neroli (neroli.hollis@carey.ac.nz).

LIBRARY HOURS

The Library is back to normal hours next week:
Monday to Thursday:  8.30am to 6.30pm
Friday:                            9.00am to 5pm
Saturday:                       10.00am to 12.30pm

CAREY MAY OPEN DAY 

GO TO THE MOVIES ON CAREY!

We're holding our May Open Day on Tuesday 28th May.

How about inviting a friend or family member along to investigate study at Carey?

Bring a friend to Carey's open day on 28th May who is considering study and you could get a double pass movie ticket on us! (seven to be won).

We have a June intake so they could start their journey this year. It could be dipping their toe in with Thinking Theologically next semester or.....

It kicks off at 8am with our famous Bagel Breakfast. All are welcome.

More details here
health, vigour, well-being