News

GMIM - 24 September 2007

GMIM - 24 September 2007

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Mick Duncan writes...

Have you ever been to a Strip show?

This was the question posed to many politicians after the Kevin Rudd affair. The labor leader, across the ditch, admitted that twenty years ago he had in fact unwisely done such a thing. Well, as this is the current hot question, let me admit that I too have faced this question. Let me explain.

On a trip to Brisbane I stayed with someone who in no way would define themselves as a follower of Jesus. Late one night we went out for a few drinks and a meal. And then out of the blue he excitedly declared, "Let's go to a strip show!!" What to do? On the one hand I wanted to be with this guy. For years I had been praying for him. But then, was it appropriate to do whatever for the sake of relationship?

Many years earlier, I had visited the infamous red light district in Bangkok. I was the leader of a missionary band in Asia and one of my responsibilities was to walk where my fellow workers walked. In Bangkok we had started up Rahab Ministries and the leader of this initiative invited me to walk with her as she mixed it with those tragically caught up in prostitution. At the end of the "tour" I said to her that it was important for me to know her world and that I was more than willing to sit with prostitutes but I didn't need to actually visit brothels again. 

So, what was I to do with my friend in Brisbane? When is it right to walk where people walk and when is it not? What criteria do we use to make such a tricky decision?

Brothels and strip joints are places in which people are in the process of being degraded and dehumanized. Is it then ever right to go to such places? I think it comes down to purpose. In Bangkok my purpose was to know the world of one of my workers. In Brisbane I had to ask what purpose would be served in going to a strip joint. It seemed to me that my friend was simply intent on being entertained and wanted me to be as well. To be entertained, in places where people are in the process of being degraded, seemed grossly wrong.

I turned to my friend and said I could not do such a thing. He persisted and said he would still go. As he had the car and it was already late into the night I was now in a fix. We left the pub. He drove to the strip joint and I caught a taxi back to his house. The following morning he looked at me with respect filled eyes.

PS By the way, there is no such thing as a prostitute or a stripper! There are, however, people in prostitution and so.

MONDAY 24th

Community Worship

12.:40-1:00pm

Own reflection and worship in the chapel

TUESDAY 25th

Community Worship

11:15am-12pm

Sermon on the Mount

Matthew 7:7-12

Brian Krum

Facilitated by 'Worship Then & Now' students

After Dinner Mints

Jinny Kean

Jinny is the vicar at St Oswald's Anglican Church in One Tree Hill; a church with a story of growth and development. With Carey located in the church's community, it's great to welcome Jinny to Carey.

WEDNESDAY 26th 

CHIPS PRAYER

9:00-9:25am  - chapel

Praying for the college, community & country

Community Worship

12:40-1:00pm

Worship for the whole community - creative, visual reflection.

Semester 2

OPEN TUESDAY

Tuesday this week there is an Open Tuesday evening when we have a number of people joining us to check out who we are with a view to possible future study. It's not too late to encourage people to come to this or to the day event on 16 October. See Neroli or the website for details.

CAFÉ THEOS

Mondays 12.45 - 1.30pm in the upstairs meeting room. Please go upstairs via the back stairs. BYO lunch.

All welcome to casually discuss theology over lunch and coffee. Please see Myk Habets for a reading.

CENTRE FOR INTERCULTURAL STDUIES

The new Centre for Intercultural Studies will be officially open from Tuesday 25th September.  Now we hasten to add, it is still quite empty - over 100 missions have been invited to supply material and that is largely still coming.  But we invite you to come and look around so you know what is there and what will be there.

We are aiming also to have a mission agency guest of the week. This week...

Shirley Booth from Operation Mobilisation will be here from Tuesday 12noon.  She will have material on OM, some free books, a display of their work and is also available through the afternoon in the Centre to talk with any students about their work.

The Centre is located opposite Lecture Room 2, where Charles Hewlett used to be. 

Any comments, ideas or suggestions, see Derek Christensen (ph 526 0348 or derek.christensen@carey.ac.nz)

Lost Cell Phone

Last Wednesday (19 September) a cell phone was left either in room 1 or the dining room. If anyone has seen one in those locations or picked it up, please could it be handed to reception immediately.

@ THE LIBRARY

A resource to remember to use...

Religion & Philosophy and Proquest are online full-text journal databases. The library staff are available to give individual tutorials on all the databases.

PRAYER POINTS

Pastoral Leadership (PL) students: There are a number of PLs having annual evaluations at the moment. Please pray for them and for Charles as they go through these - they are significant sessions as part of their training. 

Final Year students: Although still in the midst of assignments, many of you all over the country will be starting to think and plan for 2008 with the end of your qualification and study in sight. Pray for each other as you make decisions.

Planning for 2008: Carey staff are immersed in planning for 2008 right now - academic timetable, key events, personnel involvement, space issues, conferences, meetings ...you name it. Remember them as they juggle commitments and ensure everything is covered.

School Holidays: the next two weeks will be fun for the kids with holidays from school but it can create some interesting challenges for some parents with work, study and family commitments.

COFFEE AND DESSERT

WITH BRIAN KENNING

One pastor's journey with grief, depression, singleness and sexuality...

An evening for those involved in ministry leadership roles

Brian Kenning is the senior pastor at Invercargill Central Baptist Church. He has also had a lengthy ministry at Remuera Baptist. While on a family holiday in Europe in August 2004, his wife Robyn, collapsed at an airport and subsequently died in London. As a result Brian has reflected in depth on the issues that have arisen and their impact on his ministry role.

Tuesday 9 October

7:30-9:30pm

Cost $10 per person

@ Carey

If you would like to come please RSVP to Rachel 

rachel.murray@carey.ac.nz or 09 526 6598 by Monday 8 October

"Recently Brian spoke at a Canterbury pastor's meeting on the subject of grief. The material was outstanding. It consisted of a mixture of personal reflection based on the tragic death of his wife Robyn three years ago and the observations of commentators on the grief process. I'd warmly recommend this to anyone who was considering attending." Murray Robertson, senior pastor, Spreydon Baptist Church