News

GMIM - 12 March 2007

GMIM - 12 March 2007

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Brian Krum  writes...

Four weeks ago I was in Wellington during two of the, what...nine or ten sunny and windless days they have a year there. My wife and I stopped for a coffee on Wednesday morning at the only café we could find that had a spare table. Every café we could see was full. I made a joke to the person making our coffee about people taking advantage of the weather and he said, "No, actually it is always like this."

The entire café was full of people wearing $500 dollar suits - so I said - "a lot of business deals must happen here."  And the barista said, "No, we rarely see any business taking place here" - he was right - not a single computer or note pad was out. He said this is where people come to get away from the pressure of work and just be themselves with friends.  

I think it was interesting that during that same week I read two seemingly unrelated articles in the Herald.  First, I read about our high rate of children injuries and accidents, and how many people speculate they are the result of domestic violence (a result of extreme stress and isolation due to economic & social factors). The article also reported about our high rate of teen suicides (also a result of isolation from others due to social factors). The next day I read an article about trendy cafes from the inner city moving out to the outer suburbs like Mt. Wellington, Onehunga, and Papakura. However, these cafés were not moving because these suburban main streets looked like a better business deal. The cafés moved because the owners wanted to run a place for people to meet and hang out with each other (they actually talked in the article about wanting to be an alternative to the isolation that happens due to economic and societal factors).

It's a mysterious phenomenon. Corporate marketing of cafés and coffee shop chains like Starbucks, along with shows like Cheers and Friends have helped put coffee culture on the map. But as far as I can discern, coffee hasn't necessarily replaced beer as the choice beverage of indulgence. So why do so many feel drawn to these store front shops for their coffee and a hearty helping of belonging?

One of the goals of cafés, though they may not make a statement of it - is to create a "third place." For most of us, home is our first place, the office is our second, and we desire a third - a place that is void of the responsibilities of home and the pressures of work. A "third place" is place where we can be connected to our community and the rest of the world. It is a place where we can share the important happenings of our own lives and hear about the events in others' lives.

A 'third place" is a place where everybody knows our name.

The desire to know and be known is a part of how God designed human beings. The desire to be known and still liked is huge drive in all of us.

We don't want the trite, abbreviated conversation with the cashier at the fast food drive-thru; we want the long, involved conversation that brews over the latte our barista is carefully making for us. We get a taste of being fully known with each cup of coffee every morning. If we're really lucky, we get a richer taste of it within a group of mates like the Friends crowd. And one day, we get the overwhelming feast of being fully known in the presence of a Holy God.

Everyone wants to go where Somebody knows your name.

MONDAY 12th

Community Worship

12.:40-12:50pm

"Prayerstop"

Reflection and worship facilitated by George Wieland

TUESDAY 13th

Community Worship

11:15am-12pm

"Sermon on the Mount"...Myk Habets

Facilitated by Darren Ayling & Safua Fonati

After Dinner Mints

Richard Nauck

Richard is the CEO of "Great Journeys"; an organisation which aims to share Christ through real life stories and testimonies. He has previously been involved as a consultant in the sports industry and was the marketing director at Parachute Music.

WEDNESDAY 14th

CHIPS PRAYER

9:00-9:25am  - chapel

Praying for the college, community & country

Community  Worship

12:40-1:00pm

Worship for the whole community - creative, visual reflection.

@ THE LIBRARY

The NZ Herald, the photocopier and the student printer are all services provided to you by the Student Association. Please remember to put 10 cents per page in the honesty box for the printer use.

Library orientations will continue at 1.15pm and at 6pm during this week.

WEDNESDAY COMMUNITY WORSHIP

If you'd like to be part of a team that facilitates Wednesday Community Worship (and you didn't see me last week), please contact Rachel (rachel.murray@carey.ac.nz)

CAFÉ THEOS

Come for coffee, conversation, and divine communion! Now there's an offer hard to refuse!  Café Theos is on Thursdays, from 2-3pm - all welcome. See Myk Habets for details.

COLLEGE WOMEN

Thursday 15 March (this week)

6:45pm in the dining room

Dessert provided

For all the women of college designed to help, support and encourage you through college - whatever your age and stage...come get to know others. See Neroli or Rachel with any queries.

TOILET BLOCK RENOVATIONS

Thank you for your patience with the renovations going on in the administration/lecture building. We're conscious of the noise and dust. Although the contractors are attempting to do the loudest work early before classes, this won't always be possible. Please also take care as you walk past the work going on, especially keeping an eye out for cables in the corridor.  Keep in mind the end result!

DUTIES

Duties have now been assigned to onsite students. Not everyone is involved and these will be rotated each semester.  Please check your pigeon holes for your duty description; rosters are also up in the noticeboards.