News

an end-of-semester note from Charles Hewlett

an end-of-semester note from Charles Hewlett

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Dear Carey Students

It is the last day of Semester One, 2013 and I am sitting at my desk thinking about you all, and praying for you – so I thought I would write and tell you!  It is such a privilege for the Carey staff to be involved in your training and formation and I am asking God to bless you greatly in your service of him. Walking through the library earlier today I saw many students putting the final touches to their essays – I trust they all get handed in on time! In my prayers.

I have been especially thinking of the students studying with us by distance. I am praying that God would provide you with the encouragement and support that you need in your local context to successfully complete your studies.  If in the distant Auckland campus we can help you in any way please do not hesitate to contact me or one of our staff members.  We exist to help our students grow in their love for God, love for the Bible, and love for others and wherever you are in New Zealand or overseas we want to assist you as much as we can.

As Principal it is very important to me that as a College we encourage (and challenge!) you in your ‘calling’ – whether in ministry, mission, or the market place. How has God gifted you?  What is your potential? How might you grow? What practical experiences do you need? What weakness might hold you back?  Where might you best serve? It is not by mistake that we use the word ‘Imagine’ a lot around here.  There is nothing greater than being used by God to make a difference, and as I sit here at my desk, I find myself urging God to take hold of your lives and the potential and use you to do significant things within the Kingdom. I just love Colossians 1:29, “To this end I labour, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me.”  I pray that you would struggle with all his energy – so that God can powerfully work in you.

Already I am looking forward to Semester Two!  It will be so good to have John Tucker and Phil Halstead back from sabbatical. However, George Wieland heads off for 6-months research from the beginning of the new Semester.  It will be nice to have Rachel Murray around on Tuesday mornings to work with the Mission Track co-hort.   This semester I am looking forward to teaching the Spiritual Leadership Course on Monday mornings with Martyn Norrie.   Our focus will be very much on personal leadership – I strongly believe that before a person is in a position to effectively lead others it is fundamental that they have the ability to lead themselves!

Next week at Carey will be full-on as we host the ‘Theology, Disability, and People of God’ conference.  We are really looking forward to having John Swinton (University of Aberdeen) and Amos Yong (Regent University) as key-note speakers. There will be 30+ other presentations from all sorts of people…can’t wait!  I get to present on Tuesday, ‘Conversations with James on leadership: What can we learn about Leadership and Personhood from people with Severe Cognitive Disability?’  The highlight will be presenting this with my developmentally delayed son James.

Hosting this Conference has really pushed us in dealing with accessibility issues on the campus – you will notice a few changes.  Finally we have a decent ramp and platform outside the entrance to the dining room, and the doors to the main entrance, library, and dining room all open and close automatically.  Brilliant!

Well, I hope you have a good break – with lots of rest and relaxation in between all the busyness. May our purpose continue to be the same as the Apostle Paul’s in …knowing Jesus Christ my Lord…gaining Christ and being found in him…to know Christ and the power of his resurrection… becoming like him (Philippians 3:7-11).  May God bless you heaps! Remember if we can help you in any way please do not hesitate to contact us.  We exist for our students!

Regards

Charles