News

Welcome to the New Academic Year

Welcome to the New Academic Year

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Dear Carey Baptist College Students

I am e-mailing to say how much we are looking forward to next Monday - the beginning of the 2013 academic year!  Whether you will be studying with us full-time or part-time, on-site or by distance, we want to give you a very warm welcome.  As a staff we often pray for our students – may God give you a real sense of enouragement as you begin this year of study.

I want to highlight a few things in particular to you

Staff news

A big welcome to Dr Csilla Saysell to our teaching team.  Csilla is our newly appointed Old Testament Lecturer and will be based in the RJ Thompson Centre with Sarah Harris and Myk Habets. It is great to have Csilla at Carey – make sure you check out the papers she will be teaching in 2013.  And check out her recent book called According to the Law: Reading Ezra 9-10 as Christian Scripture by clicking here

At the end of 2012 Brian Krum’s role at Carey was made redundant. While we will miss him greatly, Brian will still be around teaching Introduction to Pastoral Care in Semester One. 

Welcome back to Myk Habets after his sabbatical at SIACS in India and Princeton in the USA. John Tucker and Phil Halstead are both on sabbatical in the first semester of this year. I will be the acting Director of Ministry Training while John is away.

Also, a warm welcome to Mark Johnston. Mark is the Auckland Director of the Knox Centre of Ministry and Leadership.  We are excited about him having an office on our campus.

Orientation events

Our Orientation events are an intrinsic, fun and informative start to the study year: 

• Orientation Lunch - 12:30pm – 2:30pm-ish on Friday 22nd February
    For all our new students keen to find out more about Carey and to meet some of the staff.  Lunch is provided.
  • Orientation Dinner – 6:30pm, Friday 1 March
    For all students and friends of Carey – a brilliant way to start the academic year!  This year’s special guest is JULIAGRACE.  We would love to have you join us!  RSVP is essential to sam.kilpatrick@carey.ac.nz

Distance students

I appreciate that many of you will be studying with us by distance.  As Principal I want to give you a special welcome and let you know that you are an important part of our community.  Do feel free to contact us at any time about your study – we want to support you as much as we can.

Tuesdays @ Carey

For students in the northern region I am keen to commend Tuesdays at Carey to you.  Formation Plus groups start at 10am, our Community Worship at 11:15am and then Community Lunch at 12 noon (and during lunch we interview a leader from ministry, mission, or the marketplace). This time is an important part of the formation process at Carey and we want to encourage you to be part of it. For information on joining a Formation Plus group contact Peter Hart at peter.hart@carey.ac.nz

Facebook

Lots of Carey news gets placed on our Facebook page.  Do go to our Facebook Page and “like” us.

At Carey Baptist College we love Jesus, we love the Bible, we love the gospel, we love the church, and we love education.  We exist for our students and we desire nothing more than seeing you love and service of God. If we can help and encourage you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact us.

May God bless you

Charles

Charles

http://www.amazon.com/According-Law-Reading-Christian-Scripture/dp/157506703X