News

GMIM 8 March 2010

GMIM 8 March 2010

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Myk Habets writes...

“Sing’n the Truth”

I have just come off a semester-long sabbatical, and like other members of faculty I had the opportunity to travel and teach in a radically different context from Carey. For that I am extremely grateful – thank you Carey and the Board. I was fortunate enough to spend January in South India teaching a masters course at an institution called SAIACS. At SAIACS, each day begins with a chapel service then prayer, a quick faculty meeting and into lectures. It is a residential college and the rhythm of the week is both enjoyable and sustainable. Being immersed in another culture allows us to reflect on our own contexts, presuppositions and even blind spots. I had many such reflective moments at SAIACS but I won’t bore you with them all here. Just the one thought though.

Much of the Christian music sung in church services and chapels in India was little different from what we sing. Missionaries have exported western music around the globe and India is certainly not immune to this. No problems there. But it was the indigenous songs I was most intrigued by. The music written by Indian Christians for Indian Christians was what caught my attention. Almost all of this genre was focussed on Christian discipleship, moral commitment, and narrating those biblical stories which ask for some Christian response in terms of an all-of-life commitment. The poetry was sometimes non-existent and the ability of the song writer was often called into question – sure. But beyond that the songs were good. By ‘good’ I mean they were biblically faithful, honest, and quite frankly they were sane. They got to the core of Christian discipleship without any pretence.

Compare that to the so-called ‘worship music’ that dominates our standard church services here where, without wanting to be too cynical, much of it is of the ‘Jesus-is-my-boyfriend’ genre. Now that is just plain hard for a guy to sing week in and week out, and more to the point, I have some theological issues with it. So it was refreshing to stand with Christians from another part of God’s world and have them lead me in songs of faithfulness, obedience, and joyful response.

Community Worship 11:15am-12pm

Facilitated by Andrew Baldwin and Ryan Bond

Speaker: Russell Thorp

Matthew 5:37

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Mark and Chris Grantham: Chris has been involved in the missions community for many years (TSCF, Interserve, World Vision, MECO). Mark, his son, has cerebral palsy and tetraplegia. For 17 years Mark has sold chocolate bars in Newmarket to raise money for the five children he sponsors through World Vision. Chris has recently written Mark’s biography.

WEDNESDAY 10th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people.

All welcome to join in.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Celebrating Carey’s academic excellence!

Wednesday 10 March @7:00pm

Dining Room for Coffee & Dessert

Celebrating the books of Laurie Guy and Myk Habets PLUS contributions to academic publications by George Wieland, Tim Bulkeley, Mick Duncan and recent graduates Darren Ayling, Antony Glading & Stu Print. RSVP to rachel.murray@carey.ac.nz by 8 March

Community Sports!

Tuesday 16 March 9:30am-1:00pm

A morning of sports and games and just hanging out getting to know others! Rounded off with lunch together. Meet at 9:30am in the dining room for morning tea.

Graduation!

Saturday 27 March

Manukau City Baptist @ 4pm

Speaker: Charles Hewlett

Come celebrate with those who have completed their qualifications.

CALLING ALL MUSICIANS!

We need you to bring your gifts to enrich our community worship on Tuesdays.

Please register your willingness to be involved by emailing jonathan.robinson@carey.ac.nz with details of what instrument/s you play, or put your name on the relevant sheet on the chapel notice board. BTW— even if you play a more unusual instrument we will find a way to include you! Thanks heaps!

SURVIVING CAREY STUDY

Often people feel disoriented when they start study, especially if they haven't done study at tertiary level before. To help you with the process, Russell Thorp will run two one-hour sessions, one week apart, to help you study successfully.

Learn what is required to write essays and answer questions at Carey.

Tuesday 9th March

Tuesday 16th March

at 1:15pm-2:15pm in the chapel.

LAIDLAW-CAREY GRADUATE SCHOOL (LCGS)

Throughout 2010, Tim Meadowcroft (Dean of LCGS) will be onsite every 2nd Wednesday (next one is 17 March) from 10:30am-2:30pm and located in the upstairs study room in the library. If you would like to see him either pop by or email on TMeadowcroft@laidlaw.ac.nz

He is happy to talk with anyone interested in pursuing postgraduate study.

LUNCHES AT CAREY

If you have a dietary requirement and plan to be at lunches on Tuesday and Wednesday, please let Rachel know (rachel.murray@carey.ac.nz) this week.

The caterer is happy to do what she can to help but she does need to know in advance. Thanks.

NOTICES TO BE SHARED

If you would like a Carey-related notice inserted into ‘Good Morning it’s Monday’, please have this to Rachel no later than midday on the Friday prior.

For other notices on events, Carey information, accommodation and job vacancies, keep an eye on the noticeboard in the corridor or outside the chapel.

EASTER CAMP-NORTHERN

If you are planning on being at Easter Camp Northern (i.e. Mystery Creek) and might be willing to help Carey out for an hour or two each day and evening, please let Rachel know (rachel.murray@carey.ac.nz).

We will be making and selling milkshakes and we need hands to do this! Plus we need people willing to talk with those who have questions about Carey.

GRADUATION HELPERS!

We need:

Ushers (4)

Food servers (6-10)

Projectionist (1)

If you are willing to assist, please see Rachel or Neroli.

Saturday 27 March from 3:30pm-6:30pm

(ceremony starts at 4pm)

@ THE LIBRARY

From the library staff...

Have you heard the latest gossip? The librarians went wild last week. They conducted many training sessions and had lots of fun showing students around. They were even so generous giving out free gifts to students.

By popular demand, they will do it all over again this coming week. Get hold of them if you need individual attention. They are not scary but watch out they can be quite chatty!!

ACCESS CARDS

Just a reminder that in order to receive your access card, we must have your photo and your fees must be paid in full. It will then take about a week from then to produce the card and it will be put into your pigeon hole.

The caterer is happy to do what she can to help but she does need to know in advance. Thanks.

TUESDAY 16TH MARCH

Meet at 9:30am in the Dining Room for morning tea together and then it’ll be into a couple of hours of different sports activities in teams together.

Volleyball, indoor bowls, table tennis...etc. You don’t need to be sporty, just come and have some fun!

We’ll round it off with lunch at 12noon.

NB: This takes the place of the usual formation groups and Community Worship. Crèche will still take place.

SECONDHAND BOOKS

If you are looking for second hand Christian books try:

Evermore Books

7 - 9 Ellis Avenue

Mt Roskill

ph 626 2256

or

Christian Value Books (www.christianvaluebooks.co.nz)