News

GMIM - 3 August 2009

GMIM - 3 August 2009

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0
Joe Huang writes...

While the semester just started not long ago, we have been in a feverish state for some time. Things come from several fronts. First of all, there was a cross-denominational Bible conference in July, and we were one of the organisers for that. As usual, this was an effective way to raise the profile of Carey. After that, we immediately found ourselves plunging into the more intense preparation of the block course, “Spiritual Leadership”. And not only is it another block course for us, this time we experimented with using it as a promotional tool to enhance our partnership with the local Chinese churches i.e. we gave discounts as an incentive to encourage church leaders/pastors to jump on board, and do an audit course with us. Even though the effort is so exhausting, we tried very hard to impress the newcomers and the outcome is very rewarding. A ‘record’ number of students in Chinese Programme courses was achieved—54. I am very glad to see that, but perhaps more significant is what long-term benefit such an event might yield for people’s reception to theological/ministry training. Admittedly this is an age of PR, isn’t it?

In hindsight, I would venture to surmise that among the factors that made the 30-hour leadership course attractive is the strength of the speaker, who is currently the principal of a seminary, from which I graduated fourteen years ago. Because of this link, we know each other quite well, and I hold in high regard his capacity to offer some insights for our local friends. During his stay in Auckland, we had brief time to chat about our roles and functions in serving churches through theological education. Among many things being mentioned, we both agreed that the managerial role appears to be one of the most pressure-charged roles in the scenarios. Indeed, it is not a new revelation for me to experience periodically a heightened “inner tension”. And unfortunately I have personally witnessed some cases of breakdown, exhaustion, or burnout – just to name a few - among those with pastoral or leadership roles. Probably this can be categorised as a modern phenomenon in the modern church. Recently, a planned engagement to talk at a conference of Lucan theology has produced an awful lot of pressure on me. This can be easily figured out by simply counting how many sleepless nights I have had because of it!

Yes, from personal perspective, I find “tension management” is more and more a necessity for ministry-doers. This is the main reason why last Wednesday I asked the friends of the Programme to participate in a Christian “psychological wellbeing” workshop. In it, a self-assessment/questionnaire was used to, hopefully, help people to face our “inner reality”. Although I am no psychiatric expert, I am quite a believer of this stuff. Obviously this kind of goal cannot be achieved in one shot, but it is worth a try to encourage college friends to revisit the way we are under pressure, where it comes from, how we are dealing with it, and more importantly how we can tackle its potential peril before it is too late.

TUESDAY 4th

Community Worship 11:15am-12pm

A Creative Worship

Facilitated by Brenda Rockell; pastor of Cityside Baptist Church in Mt Eden.

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Ben Work: Ben is based in South Auckland and uses his artistic skills in graffiti as a means of connecting with the community, particularly the youth. Ben attends Faith City Church in Manukau.

WEDNESDAY 5th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Soccer Match! 7 August

Carey versus Laidlaw College

1:30pm at Laidlaw in Henderson followed by afternoon tea.

DIY Day! Tuesday 11 August

A morning of sports and games and just hanging out getting to know others! Rounded off with lunch!

CENTRE FOR INTERCULTURAL STUDIES

This week Chris Grantham from MECO will be on-site. Take the opportunity to interact with him and find out more about the organisation and its work.

ART WEEK - 3-7 August 2009

An annual event when we can celebrate our own creativity.

This week is Art Week! As you move around the college this week you will find a range of different artwork that students and staff and a number of others have submitted for you to enjoy. Celebrate the diversity of talent that’s amongst this community and beyond. Track down the artist and interact with him/her on their creation.

A couple of things going on this week to be aware of:

1. We have a couple of guests on site on Tuesday to facilitate worship and to speak to us about how they use their creative skills to communicate to others and with God.

2. Tuesday at 3:30pm a group will head next door to One Tree College to visit the various art galleries they have there. If you have not signed up please do so by Tuesday lunch time. Meet in the dining room to leave.

3. A number of prizes that will be distributed!

OPEN TUESDAY…

PASTORAL LEADERSHIP AND YOUTH PASTOR PROGRAMMES

Tuesday 18 August; 8:45am-4:00pm

An opportunity to find out more about these two programmes plus spend time in a lecture, the pastoral theology class and communication corners.

If you’re interested please register this interest with Karen (526 6590 or karen.schilperoort@carey.ac.nz)

@ THE LIBRARY

What’s new @ your library?

· Library blog www.aysoncliffordlibrary.blogspot.com.Check the blog for new books, reviews and library notices.

· Library phobia?Book yourself for a free library instruction sessions. Maximum four at a time, two sessions and only ½ hour long.

Starting this week. Sessions are held Monday 1pm and on Thursday 11am.

Library week 10-16 August.We are running a number of competitions and events to celebrate Library week.

1. Book reviews: Write a short review of a library book or tell us why this book has been useful for your studies.Not more than 100 words.

2. Capture us: Photography competition.Take a photo of the library or its collection and write a caption of not more than 30 words.

Conditions: All staff and students at Carey Baptist College are eligible to enter (this includes distance students).it to library@carey.ac.nz.We will submit all entries in the blog.All entriesmust be received by Friday 14 August.

Unbelievable but true.wonder what is inside the room? Come for an archive tour and you will be surprised.

10th 11am-11.30am and Wednesday 12th (in Mandarin) 12pm-12.30pm

DIY DAY

Tuesday 11 August; 9:30am– 1:00pm

Don’t miss our annual ‘Clean-up’ around the campus next week.If you can paint, plant, build, clean or breathe … we need you. Make a difference, or only make a mess, but wear clothes to work in, have a few laughs and make some more friends at Carey. This takes place instead of the usual Formation Tuesday.

9:30am Morning tea in Dining Room

10:00am DIY team projects around Carey

12 noon BBQ lunch

Please bring whatever gardening gear you have at home—loopers, rakes, hedge clippers, trowels, gardening gloves. Also buckets and rags! See you there!

COFFEE!!!

Thanks to the Student Association coffee is available in the dining room twice a week at low cost. Proceeds to the Student Association.

Mondays and Wednesdays

10.45am-11.15am; $2 a cup

SOCCER MATCH!!!

Unfortunately about4 people have had to pull out of playing soccer on Friday. If you would like to help make up these numbers please see Rachel asap. A quick meeting will be held immediately after lunch on Tuesday to talk through the details.

If you’d like to come cheer the team o, please do so. Game held on the Laidlaw College field at 1:30pm. 80 Central Park Drive, Henderson.

Book Launch

“Theosis in the Theology of Thomas Torrance”

By Dr. Myk Habets

Date: Thursday 13 August

Time: 10.00am

Venue:Carey’s Dining Room

Torrance's vision of Theosis (deification/divinisation) is explored through his doctrine of creation and anthropology, his characterisation of the incarnation, his accounts of reconciliation and union with Christ, and his theology of church and sacraments. Myk Habets' study distinguishes Torrance's Reformed vision of theosis from other possible accounts of salvation as divinisation as they are found, for instance, within patristic thought and Eastern Orthodoxy.

This book presents the first critique of the theology of T.F.Torrance to focus on theosis, and examines a model of theosis within the realm of reformed theology built upon Western theology.