News

CareyWeekly Newsletter 2022 S2 Week 2

CareyWeekly Newsletter 2022 S2 Week 2

by Student Communication -
Number of replies: 0
CAREY WEEKLY 2022 SEMESTER 2 WEEK 2

Playing with Fire, Running with Glass

Hurray for Blown Away--the Netflix glass-blowing competition! There’s limited reality show smack talk, and each episode inspires drooling awe as artists wield balls of molten glass on metal poles and use strange tools to craft wildly beautiful things. They play with fire. They run with glass. It is seriously compelling viewing.

Recently, a gentle friend observed the Creator Spirit’s holy refining fire at work with me, suggesting I simply embrace the experience. But, it’s really not that fun. The purifying, shaping process to turn cold, unyielding material into a fiery malleable mass is extremely uncomfortable. Submitting to a vision I cannot yet imagine is risky. I do not like the pressure, random tools, or searing flames.

Still, I pray resistance will not solidify into a distorted shape. I pray fear will not shatter the yet fragile form. I trust wildly beautiful work will emerge that clearly references the consummate Artist. I pray I will have the courage to play with fire and run with glass too.

Bridget

The 10 Essentials

The 10 Essentials on CareyOnline discuss assignment writing, referencing, and tons more you need to know for excelling in your studies. They provide practical help and useful guidance in approaching theological study. 

Got a question about using Greek and Hebrew in your assessments? Wondering how to use the library? What about how to reference using SBL? Check out the 10 Essentials, and make the most of them before you start turning in assessments.

Community Lunches

Come along on Monday at 12.15pm and Tuesday at 12pm for amazing kai and whakawhanaungatanga.

And don't forget the set-up and clean-up duties for the term. The following classes are set to help:

MONDAY SET-UP 

MONDAY CLEAN-UP  

TUESDAY SET-UP 

TUESDAY CLEAN-UP    

Christian Spirituality   

Intermission

PL/YPL 

Intro to the OT

Weekly Karakia, Tuesday 11.15am

Nicola Mountfort will be sharing with us at our weekly karakia this Tuesday. Join us in the chapel or join us via Zoom for worship together.

Meeting ID: 924 5851 4246.

We can't wait to see you!

Midwinter Christmas Brought to you by SASS

The Carey Student Association are putting together a Midwinter Christmas next week on Wednesday, 10 August. Come wearing your best semi-formal attire, and be ready for great food and heaps of fun.

Time Management Workshop

On Monday, 15 August at 1.15pm we will be holding a Time Management workshop in Te Whare Oranga. So for any of you procrastinators out there, this is for you! Mark it in your diaries!

If you are a distance student join via Zoom.

Library News and Bible Competition

As a reminder, all new students are required to complete the First Steps course on CareyOnline. If you need help or have any questions, contact the wonderful Library staff.

Library hours:
Monday through Thursday 8.30am-6.30pm
Friday 9am-5pm
Saturday 10am-12.30pm

And, in case you think we had forgotten, the Library Bible competition is back (with prizes, of course!). Submit your guesses on the languages of the two Bibles pictured below:

Submit Your Answers