News

S2 Week 6 @ Carey

S2 Week 6 @ Carey

Student Communication -
回帖数:0
SEMESTER 2  |  WEEK 6
3232a223-28d1-93e7-0832-4a832dcaecae.jpg

State of Mind

Lockdown does weird things to our brains. That feeling of being unsure what to do and even how to do it turns out to be neurological. Our state of mind is "a real embodied phenomenon." 1 Let's get technical; different activities are related to specific neural networks, so for example, cooking dinner uses a different neural network than having an argument. In our normal life we transition from one state to another without noticing and this enables us to function well in a variety of circumstances.

Today I am trying to work in my sewing space. Usually during the drive to work my brain transitions to work state, I arrive, and I am ready. Now I sit wondering what to do! Learning this helped me to understand my state and not feel pathetic. I can think of what might help me transition. Get dressed (who can work in pjs?), declutter the space, make a ritual that alerts my brain to the state I need to be in.

Don't waste time feeling bad because life feels confusing, be kind to yourself and develop some rituals that help you transition to the right state of mind.

Carol Fearon

Curt Thompson, The Soul of Shame: Retelling the Stories We Believe About Ourselves, Downers Grove: IVP Books, 2015. 43

No Chapel This Week

With semester break beginning, there will be no chapel on Tuesday, 6 September. Our next chapel will be 28 September.

Study/Reading Weeks 7-9

Please remember that the next three weeks (semester weeks 7-9, from 6 September through to 24 September) are study and reading weeks. There are no regular weekly classes during these three weeks.

The campus remains closed due to Covid-19 restrictions until further notice.

Block courses ARE running (some in modified format) over this period. Please check your course on CareyOnline for specifics for each course. We are hopeful that we will be able to be back on campus from 27 September. Check CareyOnline for updates over the next few weeks.

Extensions

30aeeecb-508e-1bef-b99f-8ccc161ea4a5.png

If you are worried about getting your assessments done in time and would like to request an extension, please contact Neroli Hollis and complete an Application for Extension form.

Worried about Finances and Study?

You will continue to get your regular Student Allowance and Student Loan living cost payments if you’re still enrolled and studying. Answers to questions about Student Allowance and living cost payments can be found on StudyLink’s website. StudyLink can also help over the phone and through MyStudyLink in most cases.

If you need extra help during this time you can find information about emergency assistance on StudyLink’s website.

Carey also offers emergency assistance through the Carey student support fund.

Peer Writing Assistants

3919a881-02bc-207e-b681-8f8fee90dcdd.jpg

Grace, Rebecca, Nicola, Jono, and Susana are keen to help as peer writing support, even during lockdown via email and/or Zoom.

The team will help you with the process of writing and give you feedback on the overall structure of your work. For an extended one-to-one appointment (30 or 60 minutes), please contact the Library team (NOT the PWA team) and include:

• Your name and student ID number
  • Which assessment you are focussing on (course, assessment outline)
  • If you want a 30 minute or 60 minute slot

The library staff are working normal library hours. Please be in touch if you need any resources to support your studies. They will do their very best to get these to you as soon as possible.

c5ef026b-c04d-fcb3-2202-feb088c1799a.jpg

Carey Research Conference

Join us on 23 September as we explore research that matters in a free, online day-conference featuring Carey thesis students, teaching staff, and a keynote address from Dr. Lynne Taylor from the University of Otago.

Learn more about the conference and its modified schedule (with breaks included!) on our website. 

fdeacbd1-831c-c425-7fcd-974fad47a3b6.jpg

Open Day

We know you love Carey, so why not invite a friend along to our Open Day? Friends can attend chapel, sit in on a lecture, and meet your teachers.

Blessing

May you find peace and rest over these next few weeks, embracing the grace of our Lord as you work on assessments and care for yourself. May you receive his kindness to you and extend it to others in your bubble. May you immerse yourself in the hope found in our Saviour, who is unchanging, yesterday, today, and forever (Heb. 13:8).