News

GMIM - 6 October 2008

GMIM - 6 October 2008

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

George Wieland writes…

I’ve just joined a Political Party. It’s something I’d been weighing up for some time, but in our first years here in NZ I still felt a bit like a visitor, and thought it wasn’t really my place to throw my two cents’ worth into the discussions about how this unique and wonderful country runs its life and shapes itself for the future. Earlier this year, however, my family and I became NZ citizens, embraced by the Land of the Long White Cloud after leaving the Land of the Damp Grey Mist. That’s a privilege, and of course with it comes responsibility. I can no longer look at NZ’s national life wondering what “they” are going to do about some issue, how “they” are going to address a particular challenge. The question now has to be, “What are we going to do about it?”

As I say, I’ve been thinking along these lines for a while, but a couple of things have finally nudged me to act on it. One, of course, is the upcoming election. That forces a choice, and if I’m serious about this shift from detached observer to engaged participant I feel I should take it a step further than perusing fliers and ticking a box. I need to say not only, “Yes, I think you’ll contribute to doing what I believe is right for our country,” but also “I give you my support in doing what I believe is right for our country.” And that means putting my (subscription) money behind my decision.

The final nudge came during a church service. The preacher had mentioned some international and national political events – hadn’t made any campaigning comment or political critique, just mentioned them. And that produced a whispered response from one of the congregation, “I thought we were supposed to keep politics out of it!” That’s what stirred me. Keep politics out of what, exactly? Out of sermons? worship? church? In practice I have to admit that’s often what happens. “The world” is left outside and inside it’s all about us and our own perceived needs, as if somehow that’s the really “spiritual” stuff that is disconnected from and would only be hindered by any attention to the condition of the world and our national and local communities. Just listen to our prayers. When I asked one pastor why he so seldom included prayer for the world he replied that it would “interrupt the worship.” Hmm.    

This morning I read the opening verses of Malachi chapter 3. It is certainly about worship: “Then the offering of Judah and Jerusalem will be pleasing to the LORD as in the days of old” (v. 4). It’s about spiritual purification and refinement: “He is like a refiner’s fire and a fuller’s soap” (v. 2). So far so good, but when we look at what God means by this refining and that worship it becomes a bit more uncomfortable: God will purify and refine his people, “until they present offerings to the LORD in righteousness” (v. 3). And the unrighteousness that God intends to cleanse them from makes an interesting list: “I will be swift to bear witness against the sorcerers, against the adulterers, against those who swear falsely, against those who oppress the hired workers in their wages, the widow and the orphan, against those who thrust aside the alien, and do not fear me, says the LORD of hosts. (v. 5).

It looks to me as if what God objects to is not taking politics into worship, but taking worship out of politics. So, as part of my worship, I joined a Political Party this morning.

TUESDAY 7th

Community Worship

11:15am-12pm

Spirit Then & Now

Ephesians 5:15-20

Charles Hewlett

Facilitated by

Natalie Donald & Rob Stacey

After Dinner Mints

Debate...with Mick Duncan and Paul Windsor

...An opportunity for a good old fashioned debate on a topic of current interest, with staff facing off as they defend their position. This is one not to miss!

WEDNESDAY 8th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people.

MISSION OF THE WEEK

Mission of the week for the Centre For Intercultural Studies this week will be OMS International with displays and information. Make sure you take a look some time from Tuesday.

STUDY IN 2009

Laurie, Neroli and Russell will be holding a course planning session for 2009 study options.

Monday 13 October: 4:45-5:30pm in the chapel

Tuesday 14 October: 1:00-1:45pm in the chapel

Come and talk with the academic team early!

BOOK LAUNCH INVITATION

Mike Crudge is publishing a book on the Abel Tasman Coastal Track - it's a small, 50 page, photographic journey through the track, possibly the first of its type in New Zealand: a pictorial book on a part of NZ, printed in NZ, on paper made from certified sustainable forests. is a bit of an Abel Tasman fanatic, after growing up in Motueka and having walked the track every summer for the last 11 years.

Wednesday 8 October

6:00-6:45pm
Upstairs Lecture room at Carey

Please RSVP by twelve noon Tuesday 7th October if you are coming: mike.crudge@carey.ac.nz
There will be a bit of food, a short spiel, and books will be for sale at $15 each (cash or cheque).

CONGRATULATIONS...

To Darren and Lou Ayling (final year PL) on the birth of their son Jack on Thursday 2 October.

AUCKLAND BAPTIST WOMEN’S MINISTRIES

“Seeing God with New Eyes—God’s Care”...Focus on the South Pacific

Prayer, Food, Music, Dress and Fellowship

Sunday November 9th

4:006:00pm

Orakei Baptist Church

96 Kupe St

Orakei

Auckland

Cost $15

Please register with Lee Bell

leejohnb@xtra.co.nz or ph 09 278 1716

OPEN TUESDAYS...Pass it on!!!

21 October

8:45am4pm

An opportunity for those interested in study at Carey, to come and join us onsite and see what a day at Carey is like plus have the opportunity to ask questions. If you know of people who may be thinking about coming to Carey whatever their preferred programme, please encourage them to this. Contact Neroli for details of the day and to register. registrar@carey.ac.nz or 0800 773 776.