News

S2 Study/Reading Wk 7 @ Carey

S2 Study/Reading Wk 7 @ Carey

Deleted user發表於
Number of replies: 0
SEMESTER 2 | STUDY/READING WEEK 7

DWELLING - the place where I am

On Thursday at Staff Prayers we read Psalm 84 and prayed for you all. I was reminded of something that happened on Sunday afternoon.

Home. Safety. Our home needed some maintenance. Armed with a pruning saw and an agenda counter to our co inhabitants we cut. Three small blue thrush eggs lay there in the beautifully crafted nest. Quickly thinking I launched myself to snatch the nest before the once towering woolly nightshade toppled. Feeling the weight of responsibility for my find I quickly found a tree nearby to rehome the nest. Was it safe anymore? Sheltered from the sun and rain? Will the parents find them? Will they survive? Only time will tell.

There are many parallels and insight to draw from Psalm 84 and this analogy. But for now let us think about our life at Carey….. The place we found safe and familiar has changed and moved. We started on a path that has altered, for some this will be a shift in perspective, for others this may be devastating, and for others this will be a time of renewed purpose. The journey is long, the testing fierce, the blessings rich and rejuvenating.  HOWEVER, our role, privilege and pleasure as a staff team is to help you, the students, find your way, settle back in, grow, thrive, and finally fly. Together we are to dwell in the Lord’s presence and trust him for strength as we find our way. Together.

Rachel Roche

NO COMMUNITY EVENTS DURING STUDY LEAVE

The College is on study leave next week so there will be no Wednesday Online Prayer Meeting, chapel or lunches.

The campus and library will be open though. If you are coming on-site you need to sign in and out and observe social distancing and hygiene protocols.

Keep connecting with others and enjoy some downtime from the zoom classes 微笑

ASSESSMENT EXTENSIONS

Please note that there are no blanket assessment extensions in place this semester (as was the case in semester one). If you are having trouble finishing your assessment and have a valid reason for needing an extension please complete the Extension Request form (on CareyOnline) and email to Neroli (neroli.hollis@carey.ac.nz) .

PEER WRITING ASSISTANTS ARE BACK!

Our peer writing support is again available in semester two. Huge thanks to Jono, Josh and Barbara who are our current peer writing assistants. Research shows that students are often the best people to help other students! If you would like help with your academic writing, wanting help to move that B essay to an A grade, or maybe that C to a B ? … then we have peer writing assistants available to meet you online or face to face (as Covid restrictions allow). To book one of these free sessions, please email : library@carey.ac.nz and include:
  • Your name and student ID number
  • Identify which assessment you are focussing on (course, assessment outline)
  • Identify what times you might be available

REACH OUT - YOU'RE NOT ALONE!

If you have any questions or are having trouble finding what you need please email Neroli! She would love to help you (even if she can’t give you a chocolate at the moment!)

Remember, your teachers, the library team, Neroli and Reti are all here to help. If you are struggling to get going… reach out and talk to someone. Don’t do it alone…

LIBRARY OPEN NEXT WEEK 

The Library will be open during Level 2. Here are the hours:
Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Saturday 10am-12:30pm

CAREY GRADUATE SCHOOL - RESEARCH CONFERENCE

Save the date. This is going to be a great day of hearing from students as they talk about their research and academic dialogue. Come and be inspired!
If you are a Postgraduate student and have been contacted by Kathryn/Andrew please advise if you are presenting.

OPEN DAY IN OCTOBER

Spread the word | bring a friend who you think would benefit from study at Carey.

Starting with our famous Bagel Breakfast at 8am. More info here

You can also connect with our online resources.

CHRIST AMONG THE DISCIPLINES CONFERENCE

If you are interested in Christology, anthropology, and to listen to academic discussion from the leading Christology theologians in the world then you won't want to miss this conference.
Dr Christa McKirland is one of the panelists for Kathryn Tanner's Christ the Key and she's super excited!
The conference will be held online 23rd November. Go to the website and express your interest to attend. 

Website link

Psalm 84

How lovely is your dwelling place, O LORD Almighty!
My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the LORD;
my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.
Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young-- a place near your altar,
O LORD Almighty, my King and my God. Blessed are those who dwell in your house; they are ever praising you. Selah
Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage.
As they pass through the Valley of Baca, they make it a place of springs; the autumn rains also cover it with pools.
They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion.
Hear my prayer, O LORD God Almighty; listen to me, O God of Jacob. Selah
Look upon our shield, O God; look with favor on your anointed one.
Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked.
For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless.
O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you.