News

S2 W5 (Odd Week) @ Carey (Alert Level 3)

S2 W5 (Odd Week) @ Carey (Alert Level 3)

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0
SEMESTER 2 | TEACHING WEEK 5 | ODD WEEK

A NOTE FROM JOHN

I hope you’ve been doing well these last few days. I’ve been thinking of you, and, with the rest of the Carey staff team, praying for you.

We’re all waiting the Government’s announcement at 5.30 pm today. Apparently, the Health ministry doesn’t expect the country will go into Alert Level 4 from tonight. However, with the number of cases growing, and no point of origin yet identified, I think it is safe to assume that Auckland at least will remain at Alert Level 3 for the next week or so. How does this make you feel?

I was reading this morning about the disciples walking the road to Emmaus (Luke 24:13-35). It was a difficult journey. They were bewildered and saddened by the events of the previous three days. Their faces were downcast. Luke says that as they were walking along that road “Jesus himself came up and walked along with them.” But they didn’t recognise him. It wasn’t until their journey was finished that they realise it was Jesus. Then they exclaim to each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?”

I suspect many of us feel like those disciples. The events of the last three days have dashed our hopes and deflated and our spirits. As a nation, we worked so hard as a nation to eliminate the virus, and now here we are again. On a personal level, we found the last lockdown really difficult. It affected our studies, our relationships, our health. We’re also conscious of the impact of lockdown on those around us, especially on those who are most vulnerable – the poor, the elderly, the sick, the lonely. This journey feels difficult.

But Luke 24 gives me hope. It reminds me that Jesus is walking with us, even when we don’t recognise him. In our grief, in our anxiety, we might not see him. But he is with us. The word of God says, “surely I am with you always” (Matthew 28:20). He is “close to the broken-hearted  and saves those who are crushed in spirit” (Psalm 34:18).

As the disciples on the road to Emmaus discovered, it’s by lingering in the Scriptures, that we encounter our risen Lord. I pray that in your reading and study over the coming days you might find your heart strangely warmed. May you hear Jesus speaking to you, comforting you, challenging you, energising you.

With the campus closed, there will be no community lunches, or chapel for the next two weeks. We will continue, however, to meet online for community prayers each Wednesday at 12.40 pm. Here’s the Zoom link: https://zoom.us/j/94687555918. Please feel free to join us as we pray for one another and our country. And please reach out if you need help of any kind. We are here for you.

Ngā mihi nui,

John Tucker
Principal

SLEEPING WITH SCRIPTURE - Phil Halstead

Let me tell you about a new spiritual exercise that I’ve recently adopted and am very excited about!

For three or so minutes immediately before I go to bed, I read one verse from the Bible repeatedly. As I drift off to sleep, I continue to recite the scripture in my mind. When I wake up during the night, the scripture is the first thing that pops into my mind. I often then sneakily turn on the light, reread the verse, and ponder it further as I lie in bed. When I wake up in the morning guess what comes to mind first! I repeat this process with the same verse for seven nights in a row and then move onto another verse.

This practice is helping me to love God with all my mind. It assists me to bring my thoughts into captivity, replace my coronavirus anxiety with truth, and trust God more.

Proactively dwelling on wholesome thoughts also aids us to tame, control, and discipline our monkey minds. At this rate, I’ll have memorised 1040 new verses in ten years from now! Might you also consider sleeping with scripture?

COMMUNITY LUNCHES & CHAPEL

These have been temporarily put on hold for the next two weeks.

WEDNESDAY ONLINE PRAYER MEETING

(12.40pm - 1pm)
This is still going ahead next week.

Here’s the link: https://zoom.us/j/94687555918

All are free to join as we pray for our community, nation and the world. Invite your household to join too!

CLASSES DURING LEVEL 3 LOCKDOWN

Please remember that the campus is currently closed due to Covid-19 Level 3 restrictions.

All classes have moved to fully online from week 5 (17 August). Please check your CareyOnline course pages for details about alternative Zoom classes and arrangements for online classes.

Please check CareyOnline for important updates on Covid-19 and the latest information about classes and the campus facilities.

LOCK DOWN IS HARD!!!

We realise that none of us really wanted this, and studying fully online is not most people’s favourite mode of study. Remember there are a range of resources out there to help you.

Have you read through the 10 Essentials on CareyOnline? If not, then go ahead and do it BEFORE you hand in that first assessment.

Do you really understand the assessment question? Read the assessment task carefully. Check in with your classmates, ask your teachers… but make sure you understand the focus of the question before you start researching or writing! Read the marking rubric carefully. This tells you what is important!

Don’t know where to find good information and resources? Start with recommended texts and articles. The library can also help you with the research for assessments. Email the team on library@carey.ac.nz. Talk to your classmates and share resources and books.

Having trouble putting those words in order? Yes, academic writing can be tough. Check out the 10 Essentials (we told you there was a lot of good stuff in there).

Have you considered using the Peer Writing Assistants? Check out the info in this newsletter on how to access that service. Form a study group with friends.

Remember, your teachers, the library team, Neroli and Reti are all here to help. If you are struggling to get going… reach out and talk to someone. Don’t do it alone…

LIBRARY DURING LOCKDOWN

Library staff are working offsite during normal library hours. The physical library is closed at the moment.
We are able to provide ‘click n collect’ service from 10am-1pm , Monday to Saturday. Please request all books beforehand and notify us library@carey.ac.nz when you can come to collect the books.
Please contact us if you have any issues and we will try our best to support you.

If Auckland Alert Level changes then we will be posting an update to the library access on CareyOnline.

CAREY SUNDAY

Carey Sunday is a dedicated day on 23rd August to celebrate the partnership we have with our Baptist Churches. John Tucker has provided a sermon, there's a prayer, cell group discussion questions and more.
If you call a Baptist Church your home tell your Pastor and spread the word!
Hopefully this will become an annual event.

CAREY GRADUATE SCHOOL - RESEARCH CONFERENCE

Save the date. This is going to be a great day of hearing from students as they talk about their research and academic dialogue. Come and be inspired!