News

GMIM - 21 July 2008

GMIM - 21 July 2008

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Myk Habets writes…

Really good novels have a way of getting under the skin don’t they? They have the power to move, disturb, delight, and shake us up a little. One book doing the rounds at the moment is doing all these things. The Shack and is the first novel from William Young, a 55 year-old father of six, a ‘MK’ from West Papua, a Canadian, a seminary graduate and former church worker. Young describes himself as a believer who no longer attends church and is delighted by that. Of himself Young writes,

These facts don’t tell you about the pain of trying to adjust to different cultures, of life losses that were almost too staggering to bear, of walking down railroad tracks at night in the middle of winter screaming into the windstorm, of living with an underlying volume of shame so deep and loud that it constantly threatened any sense of sanity, of dreams not only destroyed but obliterated by personal failure, of hope so tenuous that only the trigger seemed to offer a solution. These few facts also do not speak to the potency of love and forgiveness, the arduous road of reconciliation, the surprises of grace and community, of transformational healing and the unexpected emergence of joy.

Four years before the story of The Shack begins Mack’s young daughter, Missy, was abducted and killed in a shack in the woods. Mack, living in the shadow of his Great Sadness receives word from God to meet him in this shack for a talk over the course of a weekend. Mack agrees and the novel begins. The God whom Mack meets is what is so unique, enthralling, and controversial. Each of the members of the Trinity is present and appears over the course of the weekend: Papa, whose real name is Elouisa (Greek for tenderness) is a large African-American woman, Jesus is a middle-aged man of Middle-Eastern descent, and the Holy Spirit is Sarayu (Sanskrit for air or wind), a small, eclectic woman of Asian descent. Over the course of the weekend Mack is given his own private seminary education and in the process finds his Great Sadness leave him, along with much of his previous theological convictions on God, church, and salvation.

From over 500 reviews on Amazon and a host of websites responding to the book, many who have read the book share Mack’s fictitious experience over the weekend. ‘My life has been changed,’ ‘my view of Papa-God has been revolutionized’, ‘I now find I can pray to Sarayu with more confidence and intimacy’, ‘I now see church as a very different place than the community Jesus intended it to be’, and so forth. Others, however, are not so enthusiastic. Albert Mohler, President of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary says ‘This book includes undiluted heresy’, and Mark Driscoll, Pastor of Mars Hill Church says, ‘Regarding the Trinity, it’s actually heretical.’

By the time you read this I am hoping to have obtained and read my own copy of The Shack in order to formulate my own opinion. I am really looking forward to reading it, having it ask questions of me and my beliefs, and then allowing me to ask questions of it. I am so glad I have a theological education to aid me in interpreting such works as this and then having a community like Carey and my church in which to discuss issues raised in the book. If this interests you – stay tuned – Café Theos will feature this book as one of our lunchtime debates later this semester.

MONDAY 21st

Community Worship

PRIOR APPOINTMENT!

Visit the chapel anytime Monday through Wednesday for a self-guided time of prayer and reflection. Follow the instruction with the display.

TUESDAY 22nd

Community Worship

11:15am-12pm

Yeah Right!

Russell Thorp

Facilitated by Andrew Baldwin & Dave Fredrickson

After Dinner Mints

Christine Sorensen

Christine was the Principal of the United Bible Training Centre in Gujranwala in Pakistan for a number of years. Back in NZ she has recently completed a PhD in the area of Formation, Transformative Learning and Theological Education. She is currently exploring options for returning overseas.

WEDNESDAY 23rd

Carey Prayer in the Chapel 12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people.

WELCOME TO SEMESTER TWO

Whatever your situation, we’re glad to have you join the Carey community for Semester Two 2008. Our prayer is that it will be a rewarding one for you wherever you’re based. If you’re a distance student, feel free to join us on site for a class or worship and lunch—we’d love to see you here. If you’re new to Carey a very warm welcome….we hope you enjoy being a part of this community.

LOST & FOUND

3 Bibles, 1 USB drive (with what looks like school or youth group ball photos on it). Please see reception for these if they are yours.

THE CHERRY RAYMOND ZONTA AWARD…

...FOR THE WOMEN OF AUCKLAND

*        Offered to a woman living or working in the Auckland area.

*        Recipient will be committed to advancing the status of women within the community

*        The project or activity for which funds will be used will encourage and empower women to reach their individual potential.

*        Total amount of award is $2000.

*        Applications close on 22 August.

See noticeboard outside lecture rooms for more details. See Rachel for the application form.

HAPPENING THIS WEEK!

Pizza and Orientation for new students!

Tuesday 22 July 5:00-6:30pm in the dining room.

If you’re new to Carey and would like to talk with some students and staff and ask the various questions you have about this place, this is an opportunity to do so. We’ll provide the pizza for dinner—you simply come!

Coffee & Brownies...courtesy of the Student Association.

Wednesday 23 July @11am in the dining room…have a break and come chat with some people.

@ THE LIBRARY

Welcome to the library for Semester 2 2008! Come and enjoy a friendly environment, with books, journals, computers, coffee, newspaper, study carrels, wireless, lockers and study rooms.

1.30pm and 6pm are the times for general Library Orientations. Look forward to seeing you the library- Lesley, Liz and Damir.

General Library Hours

Monday-Thursday       8:30am6:30pm

Fridays                                    9:00am-5:00pm

Saturdays                                10:00am-2:30pm

CULTUREFLOW...MAORI CULTURE AND CUSTOMS COURSE

We have been offered an opportunity to host a free 6 week course in the basics of Te Reo Maori pronunciation, Maori values/customs, Treaty of Waitangi principles and Marae protocol.

Wednesdays 13 August – 17 September

6:00-7:30pm, cost - free

here at Carey

We need a minimum of 12 people to make this happen and the more the merrier!

If you are definitely keen to do this course, please let Rachel Murray know no later than  Friday 25 July as there is some paperwork that needs to be completed before the course can start.

FEES AND ACCESS CARDS

Fees for distance and onsite students are now due! Please ensure that these are paid as soon as possible.

The access card has your photo on it and is multi-purpose acting as your access, ID and library card. Please note: your fees need to be paid in full  and we need your photo before you will receive this card.

Should you have any problems with your access card or if you lose it please see Chris Lucas, situated off reception, or email her on chris.lucas@carey.ac.nz

ACCESS TO BUILDINGS (teaching weeks)

Dining Room/Chapel (card access only)

Monday-Thursday       8:30am-9:30pm         

Friday                          8:30am-5:00pm         

Lecture/Admin Building

Main entrance

Monday-Friday            8:30am-5pm open access

No student access after 5pm

Back entrance (card access only)

Monday - Thursday    8:30am-9:30pm          

Friday                          8:30am-5:00pm             

SECURITY

Please keep an eye on your valuables when you are onsite. Lockers are available in the library, where you can store laptops and bags during the day. Keys and sign-up available at reception. Please also avoid leaving valuables in your vehicles.

Lanyards

A general reminder to staff and students alike about the visual assistance a security lanyard offers in determining that “you belong to the Carey site”. Please could you make it your intention to visibly wear your lanyard with your ID card attached.

If you do not have a lanyard please see reception to get one.

Parking stickers

We do have limited parking onsite. Parking stickers are a way for us to identify that your vehicle is ‘legitimately’ in the car park and that means room for Carey people. Please pick one of these up from reception.

ART WEEK

4-8 August 2008

An annual event when we can showcase the work of staff and students and celebrate our own creativity.

Create a piece of art to display or bring in something you already have...photography, painting, sculpture, etching, carving...you name it, there are plenty of options.

Plus...an arty week that includes worship focused around this theme, food that reflects some creativity, a guest artist, practical displays, some really great prizes, an opportunity to ooh and aah at lots of talent.

Please bring your art work to Rachel’s office with your name and the title of the work (if applicable) by Friday 11 July). We’ll have it ready for display around the college for Monday 4th.

COMMUNITY WORSHIP & PRAYER TIMES

Check the formation sheets in your pigeon holes or Good Morning It’s Monday (GMIM) on careyonline each week for full details of what’s on at Community Worship and guest speakers at lunch.

‘Prior Appointment” is the opportunity for your own personal and reflective worship by visiting the chapel anytime Monday through Wednesday. Follow the instructions with the display.

And don’t forget the community prayer time on Wednesdays from 12:40-1:00pm in the chapel.

PIGEON HOLES

These are located down the main corridor in alphabetical order of surname for onsite students. If your name is not there please see Lidy at reception.

CAFÉ THEOS—NEW AND IMPROVED!

This semester Café Theos will be run slightly different. We will have three live faculty debates/dialogues on topics of current and perennial interest over Monday and Tuesday lunch times. If you have suggestions for topics you would like covered please feel to make suggestions to Myk Habets. Otherwise – stay tuned for dates and details.

PLEASE HELP US OUT...DUTIES

We do need your help to keep the college clean and tidy. On the whiteboard in the dining room this week there are some sheets outlining the various tasks we need help with. Please could you choose where you feel you could lend a hand on a weekly/fortnightly basis. None of these should take too long each time. 

Huge thanks!       

THE ASSIGNMENT BOX...has moved

This is to be located at the reception end of the pigeon holes in the corridor.  This means that if you are submitting a hard copy of your assignment you can do so after 5pm Monday-Thursday. The book for recording submissions will be on the top of the box.

ENNEAGRAM WORKSHOP

Understanding your personality

Saturday 26 July; 9am—3pm; Cost $60

Cityside Baptist;

8 Mt Eden Rd

Contact Andrew to register: anaru_r@clear.net.nz; Ph 638 4329