News

Week 11 @ Carey - Queens Birthday Weekend

Week 11 @ Carey - Queens Birthday Weekend

Deleted user發表於
Number of replies: 0
SEMESTER 1   |   WEEK 11

REFLECTING ON THE PAST, LIVING IN THE NOW, LOOKING FORWARD TO TOMORROW

I was thinking of the words of that old hymn (I am sure we have all heard it at some point ? )… “When upon life’s billow’s you are tempest tossed, when you are discouraged, thinking all is lost; Count your many blessings, name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord has done.” Have you felt tossed by the tempest over the past couple of months? Have you been discouraged? There certainly have been some challenges for me and the family over the lockdown, but to be honest I have personally largely enjoyed the season of confinement. It has provided the gift of quiet and space that I have found a real blessing in many ways, and like many others I am considering what are the life-giving aspects that I want to hold on to and take forward into a “new normal”. How do I avoid the overt pressure of habitual patterns unintentionally filling that space with noise and busyness?

As a staff team we are asking the same questions with regard to our learning and teaching approaches and methodologies. Where are the precious fruits of deeper learning and connection that have resulted during the last few weeks of Zoom classes and online discussions (? !!) that we might take forward with us to enrich the learning journey? How do we both simplify and deepen learning, how can we better intentionally facilitate the learning environment? We will be asking you to reflect on the last few weeks of study and to share with us, as together we discern what we might take forward with us. Let’s count the blessings of the past few months, live today with intentionality, and look towards tomorrow in eager anticipation of what God might continue to do in, and through us all. Regardless of whether the past few weeks have felt like a tempest or a haven of tranquillity, hold fast in the promise that nothing can ever separate us from His powerful, redeeming love. (Rom 8:38). We shouldn’t be surprised when we see His hand at work. Shalom.

Rob Ayres

QUEENS BIRTHDAY - CAMPUS CLOSED MONDAY

The campus (including the library) is closed on Monday due to Queens Birthday Weekend. Enjoy the extra time to focus on your assignments - and hopefully rest as well.

MOVING AROUND CAMPUS DURING LEVEL 2

The campus is open for some limited activities with physical distancing, contact tracing and hygiene protocols in place.

Remember: Play It Safe. If you are coming on-site you must SIGN IN at reception or the library and then SIGN OUT when you leave. 

You can go into Te Whare Oranga, the Wharekai but you need to SIGN IN beforehand.

The back door to the lecture rooms will be closed so you will have to come in via reception.

Please do not wander through the Baptist Union offices upstairs.

Due to Queens Birthday weekend there will be no community worship on Monday.

Get along at 12:30pm for some hanging out time, and a little bit of fun! You bring your lunch, we’ll bring the fun.

https://zoom.us/j/450933146 (Meeting ID: 450 933 146).

COURSE EVALUATIONS - YOUR VOICE MATTERS!

It's that time of semester when we ask YOU students to tell us about your experiences studying at Carey. The Student Course Evaluations for Semester One 2020 are:-

MB6/732 Pentateuch

MB526 Insights into Church History

MB6/724 Humanity and Hope

MB532 Intro to New Testament

MM665 Missional Leadership

MM572 Foundations of Youth Ministry

Intermission: MB430 Exploring God's Word

(we try to spread evaluations out over a 3 year cycle)

These are being sent out through Careyonline by our Academic Registrar (Neroli Hollis) in each particular course and we need you to respond by Tuesday 2 June 2020.

Your feedback helps us know what you like, and to continually improve our courses and programmes, so we would love it if you can spare some time to respond to those evaluations. 

Teaching staff will summarise your feedback and respond in the last week of teaching. We will also summarise your feedback and post this to CareyOnline in June.

HARDSHIP FUND

Carey has access to the Hardship Fund for Learners. This is a fund available to provide temporary financial assistance if you are facing hardship due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, and your ability to study has been affected.

The next round ends 5th June.

Find out more here

TECHNOLOGY ACCESS FUND

Carey still has funds available for any student who has limited or no access to technology-enabled learning. The next round closes 5th June.

Find out more here 

The Library hours for this week are:

Monday 1st June - Queens birthday - CLOSED

The rest of the week as follows:

9am – 5pm Tuesday to Friday

10am – 12.30pm Saturday

THEOLOGY IN SERVICE TO THE CHURCH - A CONVERSATION

Did you catch the conversation between Charles Hewlett (National Leader, Baptist Churches of New Zealand) and Christa McKirland last night?

If not, here's the link to the video exploring questions like why is it important for a pastor to think theologically and can theology really contribute to fruitful and effective ministry? Spoiler alert: it IS absolutely crucial 微笑

Watch the video

MARKETPLACERS QUEENS BIRTHDAY SALE

$15  1 Kg Blue Mountain Ground Coffee
$15  Loyal Workshop Leather Wristbands
$10 Freeset scarves

Also some Freeset bags have new permanently reduced prices.
Thank you for all your support – it is much appreciated.

Head there now!