News

Week 4 @ Carey - News for next week and encouragement from John

Week 4 @ Carey - News for next week and encouragement from John

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0
SEMESTER 1   |   WEEK 4
Timing is everything, and either our very own Dr George Wieland is ahead-of-the-curve, or he’s a prophet.

He said this last August while teaching in a webinar: “Now, instead of picturing a church building, imagine the households of members of this faith community as the primary locations of the practice and growth of faith.  What would be different?”  Well, 6 months later COVID-19 has Christian-faith-communities all over the planet figuring out what needs to be different. 

He was teaching about the impact of households in the early church, specifically in The Book of Acts, and he looked at 14 different households and the impact of those faith communities. You can watch the recording of that webinar (link is below) – I hope the biblical example of those first Christians will be a real encouragement and inspiration to you at this time. Thank you George!

Mike Crudge | CCLL - The Carey Centre for Awesomeness (Lifelong Learning)

CHAPEL

Chapel will be held as usual but will be in Lecture Rooms 1 and 2 to allow a bit more space.

LUNCHES

Lunches will be served on a rolling service basis to avoid queuing, and students are encouraged to spread around the campus to eat in small groups.
Monday – get your lunch between 12.45 and 1.05pm
Tuesday – get your lunch between 12 and 12.20pm

FORMATION GROUPS

The formation groups will go ahead as usual on Tuesday.

PASTORAL NEEDS

We realise that this health crisis is creating considerable anxiety and difficulty for many of you. Please let us know if you are struggling. Feel free to contact any of your lecturers or student support staff.

WEDNESDAY 25 MARCH

We will be trialling full on-line delivery, in the event that this becomes necessary, by teaching the following classes online only from Carey on Wednesday 25 March 2020:
MM561             Introduction to Pastoral Care
MB6/724           Humanity and Hope
MB532              Introduction to the New Testament (English delivery only)
MM6/794          Poverty, Transformation and the Gospel

We are asking you not to come into class on Wednesday 25 March but to access course materials online. Further details will be made available on CareyOnline by your lecturer on Monday.

THURSDAY 26 MARCH

At this stage the Research Methods block course and the Missional Leadership block course will continue to be taught onsite as planned. They will also be live streamed and recorded.

CHINESE CLASSES

At this stage all Chinese classes will continue as usual. They will be recorded.
We will be trialling the impact of closing the physical library on Wednesday 25 March, in the event that this becomes necessary. You can still access online resources: http://www.carey.ac.nz/library
If you have forgotten your username or password email library@carey.ac.nz. Librarians are available from 8.30am until 6.30pm via email.

CAREY GRADUATION 

Has been cancelled.
We will post out certificates to all graduands.
If you have any questions please contact Neroli registrar@carey.ac.nz

There will be a stall at Student lunch on Tuesday.
Freeset items with 50% off End of line prices
Tshirts for $7.50
Bags from $4
www.marketplacers.co.nz
EFTPOS and cash available

PRAYER 

Lord, we pray for the most vulnerable and isolated in our communities. We pray for those who are currently self-isolating in our neighbourhoods. We pray for older people who are concerned about shopping, regular hospital appointments, and general day to day contact with other people. Please give wisdom to our nation’s leaders, and to our church leaders, that they might make good decisions on behalf of us all.

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
John 14:27