News

Week 13 @ Carey

Week 13 @ Carey

by Kathryn Heard -
Number of replies: 0
WEEK 13     
Kia ora from Canada! I am currently in Vancouver to attend my second American Theological Library conference (ATLA). 

Going to a new place can be daunting! After 13 1/2 hours of flying, and being squeezed into a plane alongside lots of people , I finally arrived in Vancouver looking (and feeling) a little bit zombie-like! It was a relief to finally arrive at the hotel and to catch up on some much needed sleep.

There are over 200 attendees at the conference, from all over the world but mostly from America. Initially I found it hard to break the ice and initiate a conversation with the others (the fact that I was feeling jet lagged and probably slower than usual didn't help!). However, it did not take me long to gel into their conversation. I love their input and their willingness to share. Most importantly, being able to gain knowledge fills me with joy and gives me pleasure. 

I recently visited Regent's college library and Proverbs 2: 9-10 is prominently displayed at the library. Reflecting on these verses, it is true that it is not enough to simply fill ones head with knowledge. The bible talks about what is right and just, and bringing that wisdom into your heart to nourish your soul. I invite you to contemplate this as you finish 12 weeks of teaching, and are frantically trying to finish your assignments.

Kia kaha,
Siong

Hey Carey, some of you heard me speak at lunch on Tuesday about encouraging as many followers of Jesus as possible to use our voice and ask for a more rigorous policy on NZ’s climate change initiatives. Submissions from the public are open until July the 16th and every voice matters so take this wider than our Carey community! It’s a great opportunity to experience a different spiritual practice/prayer activity as you lean into your role as a good steward ?

This is not a petition, so you can’t just sign your name – but you can follow the easy peasy process below to make your own submission to the government and cut and paste info as much as you need.

It should take you 5 minutes-10 max!

Wouldn’t it be amazing if every one at Carey made a personal submission – go on make it count!!

Here’s the info 

Cheers

Bridget B

Sri-Lanka Project

Want an opportunity to help support the victims of the Easter Sri-Lanka incident?
David Ee from Pakuranga Baptist Church has created the Sri-Lanka Project whereby you can purchase a Coffee cup and all proceeds go towards those affected by the Sri-Lanka incident.

David shares:
My heartfelt sympathy lingers for the victims of the Easter Sri-Lanka incident.  Perhaps you might feel the same way and long to help them in practical ways.  An opportunity has come up for me to lead a project in which funds can be raised towards supporting the victims.

Order your Coffee Cup here

Community Formation has finished for the Semester.

That means there is no Chapel on Tuesday

See you next Semester!!

COMMUNITY LUNCHES

Monday only this week.

WEDNESDAY PRAYER MEETING

Finished for the semester.
Go whakatā
to rest, to recuperate, to take a breath

COURSE ENROLMENTS FOR SEMESTER TWO

The deadline has passed but if you haven't enrolled yet you can still get your forms in, but you better be quick!!

LIBRARY HOURS

Normal Hours this week!

Monday to Thursday:     8.30am to 6.30pm
Friday:                            9.00am to 5pm
Saturday:                       10.00am to 12.30pm

LIBRARY BOOK SALE

Come and grab a bargain.
Some good titles are available. Only $1 per book. Come and have a look

“Have faith in God,” Jesus answered.
“Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. 
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
(Mark 11:22-24)