News

Week 5 @ Carey

Week 5 @ Carey

Kathryn Heard -
回帖数:0
WEEK 5      
Be still and know that I am God Psalm 46:10

We all know this verse. I wonder why it is that often we find it so hard to do.  We get busy, life is noisy.  And yet, when we do sit quietly with God –  we are refreshed and transformed, often gaining clarity and peace because we have given space to hear His voice.

Addison Bevere reminded me in one of his podcasts that it can be like this with our big decisions too. When we try making decisions on our own, we can sometimes feel our decisions are bigger than the God we are serving and they start consuming our lives.

He went on to say that when we set apart time for stillness and quietness with God, when we meditate on His word and His faithfulness we begin to live in the awareness that God is bigger than any decision we are facing.

Stillness with God puts us in a place of neutral, it creates a space to hear Him speak.
So, for me, as I walk forward in life and especially in my time of navigating decisions, I want to set aside more time to surrender and be still. I want to be reminded He is bigger than any decision I am facing.

Wendy Budge | Coordinator, Ministry Training
CHAPEL WORSHIP - "COME AND SEE"

Our multi-talented Maori and Pasifika Student Advisor and Support, Reti Ah-Voa, will be speaking in Chapel this week.

Come and see what Reti has to say to minister to us.

COMMUNITY LUNCHES

(12.40pm Monday | 12pm Tuesday)

Join us on Monday and Tuesday for our Community Lunches. This is a great time to get to know other students and staff while enjoying a delicious lunch together.
DINING ROOM KARAKIA (PRAYER)

Wondering what the translation is for our Karakia that is up on the wall in the dining room? Here it is:

Bless this food 
May it nourish our bodies and feed our spirit with the bread of eternal life
Bless our food in Jesus name, Amen.

WEDNESDAY PRAYER MEETING

(Carey Chapel 12.40pm - 1pm)

Jonny Weir, Director of Ministry Training will be leading this time together. This is a time for everyone, staff and students together, to join and pray with one another.
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
John 14:27
TOASTMASTERS DEMO MEETING ON TUESDAY

Come along on Tuesday after lunch to a free Demo Meeting to see what Toastmasters is all about.
In a safe, encouraging environment you'll learn:
simple ways to grab an audience's attention
practical ways to overcome the fears of standing in front of people
and much more....

12.40 - 1.30pm
Lecture Room 3

contact Vince Kilpatrick for more details
027 284 6235
vince.kilpatrick@gmail.com

CAREY GRADUATION - 6th APRIL

We need waiters, set up and pack down helpers for Graduation.
Can you help?
Friday - 5th April - 1 - 3pm (set up)
Saturday 6th - 4 - 6pm (waiting)
Saturday 6th -  6 - 8pm (pack down)

Please contact Kathryn Heard if you can help:
kathryn.heard@carey.ac.nz or shoulder tap me when you see me around campus.

ASSESSMENT TIME: 10 ESSENTIALS FOR ASSIGNMENTS

As the first round of assessments is due, remember to refer to the helpful information on CareyOnline in the 10 Essentials resource. Especially useful are the sections on How To Write an Assignment, How to Do Referencing and How to Submit and Assignment. The Library team are also more than happy to help with any questions. DON’T leave it too late to ask ?

PEER WRITING PILOT

We are excited to be trialling a peer writing initiative to help support students. Our idea is to get a peer to peer academic writing support process in place for the second half of semester one. We are looking for a small number of volunteers (second or third year Carey students, ideally with strong writing and a passion to help other students) to be part of our pilot project. You will be trained in the role of peer writing tutor, and have ongoing mentoring and support, and we will be able to recompense your time. This is a great development opportunity and would be a useful addition to your CV ? and will help support our wider student body. If you are interested please email Rob Ayres (Academic Director e: rob.ayres@carey.ac.nz) for more information.

NEXT LIBRARY TRAINING: REFERENCING

Next week's training will be on referencing. Come and learn or bring some examples. 

Starting 1pm and will finish at 1.30pm.

85be31c4-a644-4c7c-bfe8-b49fe67b6f00.png
The Library hours still continue to operate as usual:
Mon-Thu: 8.30am – 6.30pm
Fri: 9am – 5pm
Sat: 10am – 12.30pm

Whānaungatanga-(noun) relationship, kinship, sense of family connection - a relationship through shared experiences and working together which provides people with a sense of belonging

CAREY GRADUATION 2019

3pm, Saturday 6th April | Manukau City Baptist Church

All are welcome! | More details here

Are you graduating? Download a form here

CAREY MAY OPEN DAY

We're holding our May Open Day on Tuesday 28th May.

How about inviting a friend or family member along to investigate study at Carey?

We have a June intake so they could start their journey this year. It could be dipping their toe in with Thinking Theologically next semester or.....

It kicks off at 8am with our famous Bagel Breakfast. All are welcome.

More details here