News

Week Two @ Carey

Week Two @ Carey

Kathryn Heard -
回帖数:0
Welcome to Carey! - Week Two 2019

WEEK 2      
Last week was a big one in the Carey world (wherever that means for you). In my part of it, we had S01E01 of our new FOCUS Webinar Series, where once a month (on the first Wednesday), a Carey lecturer talks for an hour on a topic they are an expert in. People can watch live on their own device anywhere on the planet, and ask questions as they watch, or they can watch later ‘on demand’.

Last week it was Andrew Picard talking about culture, starting in Genesis 1 where he framed the project of creation in three ways: Creation by Command, Creation by Fabrication, and Creation by Mediation, and from there he talked about our role in the participation and formation of culture…

On Wednesday night several home groups were watching live, as well as people on their own. My estimate was at least 75 people watched Andrew’s lecture live, and I know about 25 others will watch the recording later).

Our Carey lecturers are awesome. The technology that allows people anywhere on the planet to watch them teach – live, is also awesome.

Next month it’s Csilla Saysell’s turn where she has a focus on the Old Testament, with an introduction to The Prophets.

If you or your home group, or others you know – anywhere on the planet, would like to learn from Carey lecturers in this way, sign up here:
http://www.lifelonglearning.nz/focus
$150 annual subscription, or $25 each.

Mike Crudge | Director, Carey Centre for Lifelong Learning
In this photo it looks like Andrew is just sitting in front of his computer.
He's actually teaching 75 people live online!

CHAPEL WORSHIP - "Come, see a man who told me everything I ever did"

Mission Guru Dr George Wieland is preaching in Chapel this week on John 4: 28-30, 39-42.
"Then, leaving her water jar, the woman went back to the town and said to the people, “Come, see a man who told me everything I ever did. Could this be the Messiah?” They came out of the town and made their way toward him."

"Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman’s testimony, “He told me everything I ever did.” So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. And because of his words many more became believers.

They said to the woman, “We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world.”

Come and see for yourself - starting 11.15am on Tuesday!

COMMUNITY LUNCHES

(12.30pm Monday | 12pm Tuesday)

Join us on Monday and Tuesday for our Community Lunches. This is a great time to get to know other students and staff while enjoying a delicious lunch together.

WEDNESDAY PRAYER MEETING

(Carey Chapel 12.40pm - 1pm)

Neroli Hollis will be leading this time together. This is a time for everyone, staff and students together, to join and pray with one another.
Be of one mind. Live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.

2 Corinthians 13:11

STUDY SCHOLARSHIPS STILL AVAILABLE

Carey has a number of Scholarships still available for 2019. Check out the details here on the Carey website. They include:
Māori and Pasifika, Chinese, women, Bachelors, Masters and Baptist Pastors scholarships.

Deadline for applications is next Friday: 15th March. Email Neroli.

10 ESSENTIALS FOR ASSIGNMENTS

As you start to think ahead to your first assessments make sure you check out the hints and tips on Careyonline under 10 Essentials. these are design to help you with academic writing, your referencing skills to make sure you get that A grade!!

NEED ACADEMIC HELP?

If you have issues to do with Careyonline, courses or Studylink please contact Neroli Hollis for help.

She also has shares in the Whittakers company (well, not quite but she is their chief supporter!) and will happily supply you with chocolate if you need a lift or some chocolatey love.

She will also post it out to any distance students.

LIBRARY NEWS: BOOK SALE AND LIBRARY TRAINING

Library news
Come and See: Library Staff Stuff
Date: Tuesday 12 March 2019
Time: 1pm-1:30pm
Venue: Library
Come and sort out the photocopy card, logins, First Step course etc…

There's also a book sale in the library. come and have a look and grab a bargain.

85be31c4-a644-4c7c-bfe8-b49fe67b6f00.png
The Library hours still continue to operate as usual:
Mon-Thu: 8.30am – 6.30pm
Fri: 9am – 5pm
Sat: 10am – 12.30pm

86f6550e-54c1-4dd6-8b34-509709374da0.png

Ringa Wera

Directly translated it means hot hands

It is a term used for our cooks - like Karen at Carey!

CAREY GRADUATION 2019

3pm, Saturday 6th April | Manukau City Baptist Church

All are welcome! | More details here

Are you graduating? Download a form here