News

GMIT - 23 October 2007

GMIT - 23 October 2007

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Paul Windsor writes...

I read a few pages at a time. In the seams and margins of my life. This past weekend I reached page 268. With 267 pages still to go I should get there by the end of November.

I am talking about Chris Wright's The Mission of God. In this book he presents not so much the biblical basis for mission - but the missional basis for the Bible. On the weekend Chris was tracking the 'all nations' focus of God's purpose all the way from the great commission given to Abraham in Genesis 12:1-3 ("I will bless you ... and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you") right through to that future gathering of "every tribe and language and people and nation" (Rev 5:9) around the throne, praising God.

"And God, in the midst of the resounding praises, will turn to Abraham and say 'There you are, I kept my promise. Mission accomplished.' " (251) Those sentences ignited me. I had to tell someone. My daughter was closest at the time and so she got the ear-full. It is God's (very gracious!) 'I told you so' to Abraham.

This mission of God is a current flowing through history and our objective is to get the 'carey canoe' into that current. We want to flow with what God is doing in the world, not so much commandeer God to flow with what we are doing in the world. He is the leader of this college and it is about finding where his gracious hand is at work, getting ourselves under that hand, and allowing him to guide and to provide for us.

This is not glib cliché. While 2007 has been a consolidating type of year, there is clear evidence of God's hand upon us. For example, the way this community responded to the

disruption which comes with being a building site - and then the way these alterations have opened up new spaces and synergies for us. I wouldn't have believed it to be possible just 15 months ago. Or take the staff team that serves you. Nowhere am I more conscious of God's hand than in the way he keeps on sending us people of the highest calibre to fill the roles that emerge. In 2007 there has been Karen Schilperoort, Graeme Smith, and Chris Lucas. I rest my case!

In 2008 we launch out again. This Friday the Board is likely to confirm strategic goals for 2008-2010. Pray that it will be an exercise which pushes the 'carey canoe' into God's flow, rather than merely being one that asks him to hop aboard. The compliance regime instigated by the government continues to be a massive mountain for us. In 2008 we will keep walking towards it and up it.

Thanks for all that you have contributed to the Carey community in 2007. Get some rest and refreshment over the summer. Come back with some of your mates in 2008! We continue to be so dependent on the student grapevine to get the work of Carey within the mission of God out and about.

TUESDAY 23rd

Community Worship

11:15am-12pm

Final Communion

Facilitated by the Final Year Pastoral Leadership students

After Dinner Mints

Mark Pierson

Mark has pastored NZ Baptist Churches since 1982, most recently Cityside. Since 2005, he has worked with Urban Seed; a missional community in Melbourne which offers a relational, non-social work approach to community development among marginalised people.

WEDNESDAY 24th 

CHIPS PRAYER

9:00-9:25am - chapel

Praying for the college, community & country

Community Worship

12:40-1:00pm

Worship for the whole community - creative, visual reflection.

EVALUATION FORMS

Just a reminder to all students (onsite & distance) to please complete your course evaluation forms which you'll find in your course books...and return these to Neroli by Wednesday 31 October. Thanks

@ THE LIBRARY

For the last 3 weeks of the semester the library will be open Tuesday & Wednesday evenings until 9pm. (Tuesday 23rd Oct - Wednesday 7th November).

This is to help you finish of your final assignments so come and enjoy the peace and quiet of the library during the evening.

'the sENDing'

Thursday 25 October; 7pm @Carey

Farewelling and commissioning the final year Pastoral Leadership students who have completed the requirements of the Diploma in Pastoral Leadership and will be moving on to different roles in 2008. Plan to come and celebrate with these students and their friends and families.

BREAKFAST!!!

Wednesday 24 October @ 7:30am

in the dining room

Bacon, eggs, plus other usual breakfast things, provided to the college community courtesy of the Student Association as an end of year community function. Gold coin donation and everyone welcome!

PARACHUTE MUSIC FESTIVAL 2008

25-28 January

Carey will have a display in the Global Expo marquee in the village. We need to have someone oversee this display at all times but one person alone cannot do this! If you are going to Parachute or keen to go even for a day and would be willing to help us out by talking with people about Carey and study options, please connect with Rachel. Thanks.

GRADUATION 2008

Remember to complete a "Application to Graduate 2008" form available at reception or through Neroli if you think you have completed a qualification and want to graduate in our March 2008 graduation - no form no certificate smile. This applies to everyone whether you will be at the ceremony or not.

The Graduation ceremony will be held:

Saturday 29 March 2008

Liberty Christian Church in Avondale, Auckland

Diary this now!

YOU ARE INVITED TO LUNCH WITH THE PRINICPAL

Here is your opportunity to speak into the direction of the college. Come ready to share the good, the bad, the new, and the perfect about your time at Carey J. And distance students? Feel free to email Paul directly with your comments: paul.windsor@carey.ac.nz

Tuesday 30 October @ 12:30pm-2:00pm

In the upstairs lecture room

RSVP to Rachel BY Monday 29th October

rachel.murray@carey.ac.nz or ph 09 526 6598

Please do RSVP so that we can get the catering side organised. This is open to all students - distance and onsite alike.

LOCKER KEYS AND ACCESS CARDS

If you have a locker key please ensure that this is returned to Lidy at reception by the end of the semester. Likewise if you have been issued with a temporary access card, please ensure that these also come back to Lidy by the end of the semester.

LOST PROPERTY

A navy blue 'Highpoint' fleece jacket has been found in Room 1. If this is yours please collect this from reception.

THEMATIC INTEGRATIVE SEMINAR 2008

The Course Description for the Thematic Integrative Seminar in 2008 is now available from Neroli (soon to be added to careyonline). NB - there is a change in the Required Reading and this must now be completed by the first day of the first block course (March 27). Begin locating your copy of Kevin Vanhoozer (ed), Everyday Theology (Baker, 2007) ...

FOR SALE

Derek Christensen has a spare printer - HP 610C - going cheap, best offer over $15.  Ph 526 0348.

THANKS FOR 2007

Last GMIM for this year. Enjoy the summer break whether holiday, work or placement. If you're completing your qualification, congratulations! If you're returning we look forward to having you back with us in March 2008.