News

CareyWeekly Newsletter 2022 S2 Week 8

CareyWeekly Newsletter 2022 S2 Week 8

Student Communication發表於
Number of replies: 0
CAREY WEEKLY 2022 SEMESTER 2 WEEK 8

God's Loving Gaze

I have a confession: I have an almost compulsive tendency towards order and productivity. Perhaps that is not such surprise to some of the wider Carey community! I’m the person that tidies the stationery cupboard when I’m stressed. I clean my house frequently. I believe in lists. I like alignment. This fills a gap. It gives meaning and focus when I am in doubt or fear or freefall. In another life I would have a career as a de-clutterer. But as Henri Nouwen observes “when productivity is our main way of overcoming self-doubt, we are extremely vulnerable to rejection and criticism and prone to inner anxiety and depression. Productivity can never give the deep sense of belonging we crave.” Ouch.

But there is wonderful and redemptive news. We are beloved and chosen and significant in the eyes of our loving Father. We sit in and under God’s loving gaze. We are created uniquely in his image. This in no way discounts or denies our brokenness or sinfulness or fear or sadness but takes our eyes off ourselves and plants them firmly on God.

My prayer for you today is that you have a deep knowing of this grace and beloved-ness, that you sense God’s loving gaze on you, and that find your belonging in Him and not in what you do or achieve. God loves you. You are chosen. You are significant.

Chris

Celebrate our Researching Community

Carey Graduate School students will present research at the CGS Research Conference from 9am-5pm on 22 September. We are also launching books by John Tucker, Phil Halstead, Michael Rhodes, and Christa McKirland at the Celebration of Scholarship from 7pm-9pm that evening. Both events take place at Carey and are free! 

Register for the CGS Research Conference and the Celebration of Scholarship events separately, so we can cater accordingly.

Assessment Help for Reading Weeks

Don't forget to make use of the 10 Essentials for Assignments as you continue to work hard on assessments over the study/ready weeks. And our Peer Writing Assistants are available to help with feedback and advice as you work. Contact the Library to schedule an appointment.

If you need an extension for an assignment, please contact Neroli Hollis, and complete an Application for Extension form.

Community Lunch and Karakia

Community lunches and karakia will not be taking place over the study/reading weeks. See you back in week 10!

He Īnoi Kia Mau i Te Reo Māori

A Prayer for The Māori Language. By Sir Kīngi Matutaera Īhaka  

Nāu te Atua Kaha Rawa,  
i homai ngā reo o tenā iwi, o tenā iwi puta noa i te ao,  
ā, tukuna mai ana e koe ki ētahi te whakamāoritanga o aua reo.  
Ko tō mātou reo, ko te reo Māori i hōmai e koe  
i te orokohanga rā ano o te ao  
hei koha māu ki a mātou, ki te iwi Māori  
hei pupuri mā mātou mō ake tonu atu; 
Kaua e te Matua e tukua tēnei tino taonga, 
kia rite kite moa te ngaro,  
engari whakakahangia mātou katoa ki te ako,  
ki te pupuri kia mau, kia ita,  
hei koha mā mātou ki te ao, ki a koe anō hoki;  
Tēnā koe te ora nā, te Kingi tahi nā  
me te Tama me te Wairua Tapu  
kotahi anō Atua,  
ā ake tonu atu. Āmine.

It was you God Almighty. 
who gave the peoples of the world their languages, 
you also sent to some the translation of those languages. 
Our language, the Māori language that you gave 
at the creation of the world 
a gift from you to us, the Māori people 
to hold on to forever; 
Father don’t give us this treasure  
to be extinct like the Moa that was lost, 
but strengthen all of us to learn, 
to hold fast, to hold tight, 
a gift for us to the world and also to you; 
Greetings to you, the life, the one King, 
the one and only God 
forever. Amen. 

Planning to Graduate in 2023?

If you have completed a qualification this year or plan to have done so by the end of the year, please complete an Application to Graduate 2023 form on CareyOnline.

Library News

Library hours over the study/reading weeks remain the same.

Monday to Thursday 8.30am-6.30pm
Friday 9am-5pm
Saturday 10am-12.30pm

Open Day 4 October

Got a friend who would love Carey? Or a family member? Do you know someone at your church who would thrive here? Invite them along to our Open Day on Tuesday, 4 October.

Also, there will be a special prize draw for a student who brings a friend along, so spread the word!