Number of replies: 0
CAREY WEEKLY 2022 SEMESTER 2 WEEK 4

What is Trust?

Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and do not rely on your own insight.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.

Proverbs 3:5-6

My mother wrote those verses inside the front cover of my childhood Bible. Ever since, when I have had decisions to make, I have tried really hard to “trust” in the hope that God will come through with unmistakable guidance. This week I’m again pondering major decisions, and those familiar words turned up in my scheduled Bible reading. But I’m hearing them differently.

I have learned that trust is not an exertion to achieve the level of belief needed to see God’s signposts; trust is what happens when we relinquish control and accept that we and our situations are in God’s hands. The promise is not that the way ahead will light up like an airport runway, but that God will put us straight in our attitudes, desires, and actions, so that whatever specific direction the road ahead may take, we’ll be able to walk it humbly in truer alignment with what God desires for us and for the world that he loves.

George

Time Management Tip and Extensions

Have you planned your semester assignment dates out? Sometimes it pays to put it all down in a calendar, include your other commitments, and plan around your key assignments. Here's a calendar for you to print and give this a go!

If, after planning well, you are worried about getting your assessments done in time and would like to request an extension, please contact Neroli Hollis, and complete an Application for Extension form.

Community Lunches (and Student Duties)

Come along on Monday at 12.15pm and Tuesday at 12pm for amazing kai and whakawhanaungatanga.

And don't forget the set-up and clean-up duties for the term. The following classes are set to help this week:

MONDAY SET-UP 

MONDAY CLEAN-UP  

TUESDAY SET-UP 

TUESDAY CLEAN-UP    

Christian Spirituality 

Intermission

PL/YPL 

Intro OT

Weekly Karakia

Rebecca Webb will be sharing with us during our weekly karakia this Tuesday. Join us in the chapel or join us via Zoom for worship together.

Meeting ID: 924 5851 4246.

We can't wait to see you!

Carey T-shirt Design Competition

Carey is getting some new t-shirts made up, and you have a chance to design them! The winner will get a free t-shirt and will likely become the coolest person on campus.

To submit your design, simply download the template below, get creative with it, and submit it to Nicola Mountfort by 22 August. Email it to her or drop-off a hard copy at her office. Easy as!

Download T-shirt Design Template

Referencing Workshop

Accuracy is the key to great referencing. If you want to hit the bullseye, come along to our referencing workshop on Wednesday, 24 August in Te Whare Oranga at 12.15pm.

Light kai will be provided so please RSVP by Tuesday 23 August.

RSVP to Attend

The Justice Conference

The Justice Conference is a global movement of Christ-followers who are passionate about living out the message of Jesus and making justice a way of life. On Saturday, 3 September, gather with others in Auckland (or stream live if you can't be there in person) to explore the theology of justice as we wrestle with the most pressing issues of society today. Get your tickets today.

If you're keen to attend we have one FREE ticket up for grabs. All you have to do to be in to win this ticket is create a piece of art about Justice--something written, sung, drawn, painted, scuplted...whatever! Just submit your own, original work by Friday, 26 August to Nicola Mountfort, or drop something off to her office.

Your Peer Writing Assistants

Did you know that Carey has a peer-based, academic-writing support programme? We have three new Peer Writing Assistants for 2022, who have volunteered their time to work with students to help them with academic writing and literacy. Thank you Jacqui, Grace, and Joy (left to right in photo) for helping offer this support.

To book a 25-50-minute session, contact the Library with the following details:

• Your name and student ID number
  • Which assessment you are focussing on (course, assessment outline), and briefly identify what aspect of the assessment you would like help with.
  • Whether you want a 25-minute or 50-minute slot (in-person, via Zoom, or email).

Code of Pastoral Care

The NZQA has set out roles and responsibilities for schools like Carey to support your wellbeing, development, and educational achievement. The code exists to make sure you have the best possible support system while you study here so you will be

• Safe (physically and mentally)
  • Respected for who you are
  • Supported in your learning and wellbeing
  • Connected with your social and cultural networks
  • Able to have your say in decisions about services

Learn more about the Code of Pastoral Care.