News

CareyWeekly Newsletter 2022 S2 Week 1

CareyWeekly Newsletter 2022 S2 Week 1

Student Communication發表於
Number of replies: 0
CAREY WEEKLY 2022 SEMESTER 2 WEEK 1

We Must Band Together

Whakapuputia mai o manuka, kia kore ai e whati. (Cluster the branches of the manuka, so they will not break.) 

E te whānau, the weight of responsibility can feel burdensome as the Creator’s kaitiaki for her creations and each other. It will be increasingly difficult to bear weight as independent, self-sufficient westerners when encountering the full depth of theological responsibility through biblical studies. Is the response then to relinquish our Creator-given responsibilities, confining ourselves to what is convenient? Kahore rawa! Fortunately, the whakatauki above (and most of scripture) offers an effective solution. 

Get help!  

We must band together, whānau! Without a doubt if we stand alone, we will break, beset on all sides. Covid times have made isolation and distance such easy positions to assume. Don’t do it! As soon as (but, preferably before) that drowning feeling happens, reach out for help! Firstly, it’s a biblical requirement that you ask God for help. The Psalmist never says, “I look to the mountains and there I was helping myself,” or “Holy me help me get me through this.” Additionally, it is a community requirement that you rely on community, not yourself! The scripture doesn’t say “ask and you’re a nuisance,” does it?

Therefore, whānau, it is right and proper to get all the help you can get, when (but, preferably before) you need it, and together let’s fix the old saying to its truthful reality, “God helps those who ask for help.”  

On that note, Tanya and I as student supporters, although prioritize Māori and Pacific students, are always willing to help. Our office is in the library!  

Eugene

Make the Most of CareyOnline

If you are a new student this semester, you should have received your login information for CareyOnline, our learning management system where nearly EVERYTHING YOU WILL EVER NEED EXISTS!

Lecture recordings magically appear on your course lecture playlist on CareyOnline (usually within 12-24 hours, but no more than 48). It's also where you can complete the required First Steps course. You can find the super-helpful 10 Essentials, which discuss assignment writing, referencing, and tons more you need to know.

Also, be sure to check out the Student Handbook, where you can find info about student life at Carey, support for your studies, and our wellbeing and saftey procedures, to name a few.

Community Lunches (and Student Duties)

Come along on Monday at 12.15pm and Tuesday at 12pm for amazing kai and whakawhanaungatanga.

And don't forget the set-up and clean-up duties for the term. We are asking each class to contribute, so check the roster below for when your class is on to help. Also, you can help anytime, no matter what class you are in. Next week is an even week, so the following classes are set to help:

MONDAY SET-UP 

MONDAY CLEAN-UP  

TUESDAY SET-UP 

TUESDAY CLEAN-UP    

Thinking Theologically   

Revelation   

General Formation 

Christology 

Weekly Karakia, Tuesday 11.15am

Caleb Haurua will be sharing with us at our weekly karakia this Tuesday. Join us in the chapel or join us via Zoom for worship together.

Meeting ID: 924 5851 4246.

We can't wait to see you!

Midwinter Christmas Brought to you by SASS

The Carey Student Association are putting together a Midwinter Christmas on Wednesday, 10 August (week 3). Come wearing your best semi-formal attire, and be ready for great food and heaps of fun.

Also, if you have ukulele skills and want to be a part of the special performace, contact Siong by Friday, 5 August for rehearsal details.

Essay Writing Workshop

On Wednesday, 3 August from 12-12.45pm in Te Whare Oranga, Eugene and Anna will be holding an essay writing workshop. Come learn how to structure an essay and how to tackle an exegetical essay!

There will be a light kai (sliders) provided at the end. Please RSVP if you are attending in person for catering purposes by completing this form.

You can also join us via zoom.

Library News

As a reminder, all new students are required to complete the First Steps course on CareyOnline. If you need help or have any questions, contact the wonderful Library staff.

Library hours:
Monday through Thursday 8.30am-6.30pm
Friday 9am-5pm
Saturday 10am-12.30pm

Parking, ID Cards, and Changing Courses

The start of the semester means a lot of administrative things to do. Here are a few important ones:

• Car stickers for parking are available at reception. Talk to Lidy if you plan to park your car on campus.
  • You can also pick up your ID card at reception after you pay your fees and submit your Public Trust form.
  • Finally, if you need to change courses, you need to complete an Application to Change Courses form and submit it to Neroli.