News

CareyWeekly Newsletter Week 6

CareyWeekly Newsletter Week 6

by Student Communication -
Number of replies: 0

CAREY WEEKLY 2022 WEEK 6

Preparing Our Hearts

This year has been my first time practising Lent and I have found it to be such a beautiful embodied experience. I had been thinking of doing this when I read Grace Paddison's blog on Metanoia, which sealed the deal. In my own upbringing, we did not follow a church calendar or engage in liturgical practices, and I think this has been a loss for myself and those with a similar ecclesial upbringing. 

As I look toward this Easter, the practice of Lent has helped prepare my heart for Sunday. However, regardless of your own observance of Lent, how might each of us prepare our hearts for what we grieve on Friday and celebrate on Sunday?

Ngā mihi,

Christa

Changes from Week 10 

We are continuing to move forward with the health and safety of our Carey whānau in mind. From week 10 (starting 9 May) the following changes will be in effect:

• Community lunches will be Mondays and Tuesdays. See below for details and to register your preferences for weeks 10-12.
  • Chapel/karakia will take place in the chapel but continue to actively engage our distance students. More details to come. 
  • All weekly-taught courses will be offered on-site except for MB6/732 Pentateuch, which will remain online for all of semester one. 
  • Block courses will be on-campus as per the timetable, and in-person attendance is expected. Please discuss with your teachers if you are unable to attend.
  • Library hours will return to normal: Monday-Thursday: 8.30am-6.30pm, Friday: 9am-5pm, Sat: 10am-12.30pm.
  • Masking rules remain the same.
  • Please continue to monitor for Covid symptoms, and stay home if you are sick. 
Feel free to message Rob if you have any questions.

Community Lunch

Beginning in week 10, we will have community lunches on Mondays and Tuesdays at 12.15pm, and we will have a new cook preparing our meals.

In order to help cater appropriately, please register your plans to attend lunches and any dietary preferences for weeks 10-12.  
Register for Lunch Weeks 10-12

Assessment Help for the Study Break

8ecbfcf1-8c6c-c748-caf6-bf187b4f34cf.jpgWork on assessments ramps up over the study break, so we encourage you to use of the 10 Essentials for Assignments. If you need help with referencing, integrating Greek and Hebrew, submitting an assignment, or just about anything else, these resources will help

If you need an extension for an assigment, please contact Neroli Hollis, and complete an Application for Extension form.

Further, you can find sample assignments on the 10 Essentials page. So be sure to scroll down for sample essays, a Referencing Cheat Sheet, and heaps more.

Your Peer Writing Assistants

Did you know that Carey has a peer-based, academic-writing support programme? We have three new Peer Writing Assistants for 2022, who have volunteered their time to work with students to help them with academic writing and literacy. Thank you Jacqui, Grace, and Joy (left to right in photo) for helping offer this support.

To book a 25-50-minute session, contact the Library with the following details:
  • Your name and student ID number
  • Which assessment you are focussing on (course, assessment outline), and briefly identify what aspect of the assessment you would like help with.
  • Whether you want a 25-minute or 50-minute slot (in-person, via Zoom, or email)

Library Hours over the Break

Over the mid-semester break, the Library will be closed the following days:

Friday, 15 April through Tuesday, 19 April
Monday, 25 April (ANZAC Day)

From Wednesday, 20 April through Saturday, 7 May, the Library will be open 9am-5pm Monday through Friday, and 10am-12.30pm on Saturdays.

Easter Closure and Semester Break

Just a reminder that Carey is closed from Friday 15 April (Good Friday) through Tuesday, 19 April in observance of Easter.

Beginning the week after Easter Sunday, the semester break commences, spanning weeks seven through nine. Lectures and chapel will resume in week 10, beginning 9 May. 

The Virtual Carey Easter Egg Hunt

Whilst Rebecca was organising and on-campus Easter Egg hunt on Wednesday, if you are a regional/distance student (or just can’t make it on campus tomorrow) and love chocolate, then you can take part in our virtual Easter Egg hunt! This is a Carey first.

1. Go to the Current Students section on our website. 
  2. Find three hidden easter egg images on the pages and sub-pages.
  3. Enter your details.
  4. Sit eagerly by your mailbox for the chocolate to arrive.

Have fun, and have a refreshing Easter study break. Happy egg-hunting! Ngā mihi nui!