News

S2 W14 (Even Week) @ Carey

S2 W14 (Even Week) @ Carey

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0
SEMESTER 2 | TEACHING WEEK 14 | EVEN WEEK

THANKS FOR THE UNEXPECTED GIFT 

Written by Bridget Barnard

Recently I have been confronted by my conflicting attempts to trust in God’s loving faithfulness while striving to exert control over this ‘nonsense-of-a-pandemic’ year ‘Yes I trust God ….  but how do I get things done now?!

We expect to have (some) control of our lives, to make good choices and be rewarded by a sense of satisfaction and success.  This is true even in our faith journey. I practice good rhythms and routines and I should become more spiritually mature – right?

But what happens when our expectations are not meet and we are thwarted? When we fail or are disappointed? What happens when our security props are kicked out from under us by something uncontrollable –  like lock down.  What happens when our regular strategies for managing our lives are confronted by the unexpected and no longer work?

As I reflected on my response to this year, these are the things that have emerged in the tussle between trust and control......click on the link for more.

Read the full article here

POSTGRADUATE INFORMATION LUNCH 

This Tuesday Andrew Picard and Sandy Kerr will host an information lunch for those who are interested in postgraduate study at Carey. This is an opportunity to hear about the postgraduate courses and programmes which will enable you to pursue and produce integrative theological research. Grab your lunch and come and join us in Te Whare Oranga.

COMMUNITY LUNCHES

Join us for lunch in the Wharekai on Monday at 12.40pm and Tuesday (straight after Chapel) at 12noon.

Please continue to practise good hand hygiene, stay home if you are unwell, and if you have cold and flu symptoms contact your doctor or Healthline on 0800 358 5453 for advice.

CHAPEL WITH EMMA STOKES

11am | Tuesday
Emma Stokes is our guest speaker in Chapel this coming Tuesday.
Emma was a course lecturer this year teaching ‘Interpreting Isaiah in the New Testament and for Mission and Ministry Today’ and is a PhD candidate at Otago University.

WEDNESDAY PRAYERS 

12.40pm
Join us on-site in the chapel as we pray for each other, our nation and the world.

END OF SEMESTER ASSESSMENTS AND DEADLINES 

This time of semester things start to heat up with final assessments and end of year deadlines! Here are our top tips October/November:
  1. Make sure you have a clear plan of when your assessments are due!
  2. Plan in time to work on assessments BEFORE the due dates ?
  3. Use the resources on the 10 Essentials (see CareyOnline) to help with researching and writing
  4. Remember the library team are super-helpful in finding resources for assessments and helping out in general
  5. Talk with your teacher and make sure you understand the assessment question properly
  6. Finish your draft early and book a time with one of our Peer Writing Assistants!
  7. If you are on a L5 course, finish your assessment draft early and submit to CareyOnline BEFORE the due date to get your TurnItIn similarity report – then you can address any issues and resubmit by the due date with NO grade penalty.
  8. If there is a legitimate reason for needing an extension – fill out the form and talk with Neroli as soon as possible.
  9. If you need some help, but just are not sure where to start, ask for help. Talk to any of the teaching team, library or student support team. That’s why we are here!

SENDing is a very special event in the Carey calendar.

It is an evening where we celebrate our students completing Pastoral Leadership, Youth Pastoral Leadership, Mission Track and Ethnic Ministry Training.

All are welcome. Come and celebrate with your fellow students!

7pm | 29th October | Pakuranga Baptist Church | More details

Do you know of anyone who is finishing up high school this year and who could potentially want to go on their own discipleship journey in 2021?

We're holding an information night for them to find out more about Intermission. Help us spread the word and invite someone along.

It maybe the perfect stepping stone for them where they'll get to stretch their faith and worldview and help them define their next life chapter.

7pm | 20th October | @ Carey | More details

LIBRARY HOURS 

Monday-Tuesday 8:30am-6:30pm
Wednesday – Friday 9am-5pm
Saturday 10am-12:30pm