News

Welcome back! Carey Weekly: Sm1 Second Half

Welcome back! Carey Weekly: Sm1 Second Half

Deleted user發表於
Number of replies: 0
SEMESTER 1   |   WEEK 7

Welcome to teaching week 7. These last few weeks have been very demanding, I know, for many of you. This extraordinary pandemic has put enormous pressure on our world, our economy, our society, our communities, our families, and our work. I know many of you have found this period of lockdown really disruptive to your study and learning.
Over the last week or so I’ve been reflecting on these words from Habakkuk 3:17-19:
Though the fig tree does not bud
    and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
    and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
    and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
    I will be joyful in God my Saviour.
The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
    he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
    he enables me to tread on the heights.

The prophet is describing a people under enormous pressure. They are about to be invaded, not by a virus but by an army. He says, “Even if our economy is decimated, even if our social order is devastated, yet will I rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Saviour. He is faithful to his people. He is sovereign over the world. And he will give me the strength that I need.”
As we look to the second half of this semester, I pray that your study will help you to focus on the Lord and to find your joy in him. He is your Saviour. He is your strength. He who called you to Carey is faithful and sovereign. He knew COVID-19 was coming. He wasn’t caught unawares. He will enable you to complete your studies. He will give you the strength you need.

A list of things the great nation-wide lockdown of 2020 has taught me:

I find it extremely hard to think of snacks I want when they are not right in front of me at the supermarket.
There are many, many, many different ways to sit at a desk.
I’ve learnt the gift of technology
and how words have the power to break through any amount of distance.
I’ve learnt the extremely underrated value of a phone call,
how one call can make your whole day.
The value of face to face connection
and what a gift it is to be able to touch those we love.

I’ve learnt that learning sometimes comes with growing pains.
I’ve learnt that it is okay to be human.
To feel things that don’t always make rational sense.
To feel things that don’t look ‘nice’.
That to be human means to go through some stuff sometimes.

I’ve learnt that music changes the atmosphere of the room,
and the atmosphere of the mind.
I’ve learnt that it is critical to stop, pause, and be.
And that breathing is a really good thing to do.

I’ve learnt to pray for my neighbours when their very upset children start to get on my nerves.
And the beauty in sharing with neighbours and getting to know those who live around you.

I’ve learnt that where one season starts, the other doesn’t always stop.
I’ve learnt that God’s love for me is not dependent on whether or not I serve in ministry.
I’ve also learnt that my heart's deepest joy comes from serving in ministry.
And it is a great, high, honour to walk with people in this weird thing called life.

I’ve learnt that church really is not the building.
I’ve learnt that the Body of Christ is a beautiful thing.
I’ve learnt that when we realise that,
we can work together as a Church for our churches.

In the great nation-wide lockdown of 2020
I have noticed I have a lot I need to learn.
But I have learnt: how to trust a little bit more,
And rush a little bit less.
To see the value in the ‘everyday ordinary’
And to never take for granted the simple act of human connection.

Written by Sarah Buckwell

Short, but oh so sweet! Join us as we gather around the Word, pray for our World, and lean into our Work for the week ahead.
Get along at 12:30pm for some hanging out time, and a little bit of fun! You bring your lunch, we’ll bring the fun.

https://zoom.us/j/450933146 (Meeting ID: 450 933 146).

TEACHING WEEK 7 BEGINS 4 MAY 2020

Please remember that classes re-commence next week (fully online) as per the revised timetable (refer to your CareyOnline course for details). Our campus is still officially closed although restricted access to the library is available during Alert Level 3.

Please ensure you have read the latest updates and news posted on CareyOnline. If you need any further support please contact Neroli (neroli.hollis@carey.ac.nz).

FEELING ANXIOUS or LOW?

The Lowdown website is a great resource if you're struggling in your bubble. It's got some great answers for when life sucks.

But, don't forget that we are here to help too. If you need to talk or need a virtual hug just email or text. You are not alone!

CLICK AND COLLECT

A ‘click and collect’ (contactless) service is now operating at Carey library and will continue throughout the period of Covid-19 Alert Level 3, Monday to Saturday, 10am – 1pm.

After you have reserved the books you need online, please email us at library@carey.ac.nz to make an appointment to pick them up.

Contact us also if you have any issues accessing the library’s online resources or are unable to locate resources. We are working normal library hours from remotely.
Do you need help? Email us!

50% OFF ALL FREESET PRODUCTS

Covid 19 has impacted business around the world. Now, more than ever, your purchase matters. It is only through the sale of their product that our suppliers can thrive.

To show our support for the great work our partner businesses are doing, we are providing a special offer you can’t refuse.

For the duration of level 3, we are reducing the prices of our Freeset range, including bags, aprons, scarves and T-shirts, by 50%. This is a massive saving!

Shop Now

WALKING OUT THE DOOR - by Neroli Hollis

Walking out the door…….down the drive…….along the street……………through the walkway………………
LOOKING UP we see
 …………..an old furry teddy bear standing at a window, arm raised in greeting………………………..it warms me …………………………
Continuing along the streets, through the (open) gate we walk on……………………………..along the flat until we begin the ascent……………upward we go…………
LOOKING UP we see
 ………..the TOP of MAUNGAKIEKIE/ONE TREE HILL……………it reassures me…………………..
At the top we pause and take in the view ……………..
LOOKING UP we see …….
…………………….. the sky coming to light with morning sun rays ……………or staying covered in a duvet like clouds…..or pouring down tears of raindrops………………still lifting me higher……………….
…as we pilgrim on hearing the Psalmist’s words……………………………. LOOK UP  

I lift my eyes to the mountains
Where does help come from
Help come to me from Yahweh
The maker of heaven and earth