News

Week 5 - Mission Week

Week 5 - Mission Week

Deleted user發表於
Number of replies: 0
WEEK 5      
Last week Laurie Guy pointed me to a Stuff feature that reproduced an article from The Conversation website, that was referring to an April 2019 study coming out of Victoria University called: Who do we trust in New Zealand? 2016 to 2019 by Simon Chapple & Kate Pricket.

The next day I was listening to The Panel on RNZ and Simon Chapple was talking about it. The study showed interpersonal trust in New Zealand is modestly on the rise, and compared to other countries, New Zealand’s interpersonal trust is at the higher end of the OECD. “New Zealanders trust Police and Medical practitioners the most, and Bloggers the least.” The Church is about halfway between the least and most trusted. “In 2019 New Zealanders trust their neighbours most, equal with their trust in government to do right for New Zealand.” “The most trusted religious group in New Zealand is Buddhist. The least trusted is Evangelical Christians…” This is great food for thought, don't you think?

Mike Crudge, Director for the Carey Centre for Lifelong Learning

IT'S ALL ABOUT MISSION THIS WEEK!

Mission Week '19 is happening on campus next week. We'll have practitioners and mission leaders around campus Monday - Wednesday. Have a chat with them and find out about ways of serving God in the world.

Come and see how you can be available for God's Mission and challenge your thinking on what your participation in mission could involve, here or overseas. 

We have guest speakers for Chapel, Wednesday lunch with Tranzsend and Wednesday Prayer focussed on Mission.

CHAPEL - Come and See God in Surprising Places

We have a Guest Speaker for Mission Week.
Rosie Fyfe is the newly appointed Director of NZCMS.
Find out more about Rosie here

COMMUNITY LUNCHES

Join us as a community for lunches on Monday and Tuesday in the Wharekai
Monday 12.40pm
Tuesday 12pm

Our chef Karen cooks up a storm for us and its free!

SPECIAL WEDNESDAY LUNCH

As part of Mission Week we have a special lunch at 1pm sponsored by NZBMS/Transzend.

All are welcome in the Wharekai!

WEDNESDAY PRAYER MEETING - FOR MISSION WEEK

This week Susie Couch (Director of Interserve) will lead us for a special Wednesday Prayer for Mission Week.

PEER WRITING ASSISTANTS

Our peer writing support is again available in semester two. If you would like help with your academic writing, then we have peer writing assistants available to meet you for a 30 or 60 minute session. To book a session, please email : library@carey.ac.nz and include:
  • Your name and student ID number
  • Identify which assessment you are focussing on (course, assessment outline)
  • Identify if you want a 30 minute or 60 minute slot

10 ESSENTIALS 

Working on your next assessment? Don’t forget the useful information in the 10 Essentials (found on CareyOnline here).

Especially go over the HOW TO WRITE AN ESSAY and HOW TO REFERENCE sections. See the Library team if you have any further questions!

CAREYONLINE COURSE INFORMATION

Please remember that a lot of your course material and information sits in CareyOnline – Carey’s Moodle Learning Management System. If you have not logged onto CareyOnline to look at your course information, please do this in the next couple of days (otherwise your teachers will be checking up to see that everything is OK!).

If you are having trouble logging in to CareyOnline please email Neroli (neroli.hollis@carey.ac.nz)

NIHO TANIWHA

"Teeth of the Creature"
This is depicted on the triangular shapes across the windows of the Te Whare Oranga. 
The shapes represent lieage and whakapapa of chiefs going back to God.
It is the gathering of different family groups.

LIBRARY HOURS

Library hours are as follow:
Monday – Thursday  8:30-6:30pm
Friday                        9am-5:00pm
Saturday                   10:00am-12:30pm

THE LIBRARY IS READY FOR MISSION WEEK

Come and help Siong, Liz and Carol complete the jigsaw puzzle before the end of the week. Good stress reliever between assignments.

DISTANCE STUDENTS

Kia ora to all distance students from the Carey library team,

We hope your semester has started well and you are not feeling too overwhelmed. By now you will be getting your heads around course assessment tasks. Remember – you can do it!

Remember also that we are here to help – you can call us on 0800 773 776, or email us: library@carey.ac.nz.

Library resources – books, ebooks, journal articles and more, can be found via the library web page -
to access them, enter a search in the box under Tūhuratanga  (searches across all materials, print and online).
By scrolling down the library web page you will find a useful Library Guide – just select ‘Do you have a library guide?’

Other help available to you for studying and assignments:
  • 10 Essentials:  You can find these on Carey Online – select from the solid blue banner running across the page.
  • First Steps – All new students are automatically enrolled in this academic skills course. If you have studied at Carey previously but would like to brush up on your skills, contact the library for access.
  • Distance services available to you on request:
  • Books sent out, with return postage enclosed.
  • PDF scans of book chapters etc emailed

Looking forward to hearing from you…

Go well,

Siong, Liz & Carol

“But you, Israel, my servant,
    Jacob, whom I have chosen,
    you descendants of Abraham my friend,
 I took you from the ends of the earth,
    from its farthest corners I called you.
I said, ‘You are my servant’;
    I have chosen you and have not rejected you.
 So do not fear, for I am with you;
    do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
Isaiah 41: 8-10